Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

How to remove a sticker from a photo?

From time to time, I accidentally trigger the creation of a 'sticker' by holding my finger on the subject of a photo (as described in this Apple user guide). This can be pretty annoying, but it's worse than annoying if you happen to do it in the Files app, because if you then move your finger, it duplicates the subject and plonks it down right over the top of your original photo!

It seems that you have one brief chance to undo this, by tapping on the tiny blue ellipsis button and selecting 'Delete'. However, the first time I did this, I didn't know what to do and now the photo is ruined by having this 'sticker' on it permanently. I could find no way to undo this action or restore the photo to its original version, nor can I find any online instructions on how to remove it.

The sticker does appear to exist on a separate layer because if I touch and hold the original subject, it creates yet another complete duplicate of it, despite the fact that the first sticker is obscuring part of it. When you do this, the original photo is darkened, making both stickers stand out from the background. However, in this state, there still seems to be no way to select or delete the first sticker.

Given that the sticker is on a separate layer, one would imagine there has to be some way to remove it. Does anyone know of a way?

Posted on May 12, 2024 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2024 7:40 PM

I got you. Open the photo in the files app. Click the markup button in the lower right. THEN click the pencil icon with the lines through it. Draw a circle or box around the duplicated ‘sticker’ that was created. It should then select it and give you the blue button with the three dots. Tap that and click delete!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2024 7:40 PM in response to Kalsta

I got you. Open the photo in the files app. Click the markup button in the lower right. THEN click the pencil icon with the lines through it. Draw a circle or box around the duplicated ‘sticker’ that was created. It should then select it and give you the blue button with the three dots. Tap that and click delete!

May 23, 2024 7:30 PM in response to RachelAnn9883

Rachel, so sorry to hear this happened to you with such a precious photo. It's annoying that Apple doesn't make it easy to jump back to a previous version of a single file on the iPhone like you can with Time Machine on the Mac.

All I can suggest at this stage is that we both submit feedback to Apple about this and hope they introduce a fix at some stage. I am slightly hopeful, as I said before, because it does seem as though the sticker is on a separate layer.

Also, if you have an Apple Store near you, maybe it would be worth booking a Genius Bar appointment to see what they say?

May 14, 2024 1:25 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thanks for the reply Richard. Interesting that you can't reproduce the issue on your phone.

I'm currently on iOS 17.4.1, with an iPhone 11 Pro. Yes, the image is stored in iCloud, but it happens to photos stored on the phone too.

Here are the steps in more detail, in case we're doing something different:

1. Open a photo (that includes at least one person) in the Files app.
  2. Touch and hold the person until the glowing outline effect appears and the background darkens.
  3. Drag your finger until a smaller duplicate copy (sticker) of the person appears. (If you lifted your finger after step 2, you will need to touch and hold it again for a moment before dragging.)
  4. Lift your finger. A blue rectangle with corner anchors appears, allowing you to resize the 'sticker'.
  5. If you click on the little blue circle with a white ellipsis, there is the option to 'Delete' the sticker. Otherwise, if you click 'Done', the sticker is permanently attached to the photo.

May 23, 2024 10:47 AM in response to Kalsta

Kalsta

THIS LITERALLY just happened to me. I’m soooo upset and near tears that I have messed up an irreplaceable picture!! I came straight to google looking for answers. First I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s accidentally done this. But I hope I can find an answer and a fix! I did this to one of my daughter’s kindergarten graduation pictures from 2020. So no way the photographer still have this file. I’m desperate. How do I remove this sticker of her off the original. HELP HELP HELP ANYONE!!!

May 27, 2024 8:39 PM in response to camsauce

@camsauce, you're a legend! That pointy tool with the diagonal grey lines (whatever that is supposed to be) is the key. You don't even have to draw around the sticker—just clicking on the sticker selects it too.

Many thanks!! I'm sure @RachelAnn9883 will be delighted too!

PS. Is there no way to mark that as the correct answer (like on Stack)? Looks like all I can do is give it one upvote. I've never understood the Apple forums and how they work (or don't).

May 28, 2024 4:41 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thanks Richard. There appears to be no way to select an answer as being correct or even best. In any case, after receiving two upvotes, it's been automatically labelled as 'Best reply' by Apple's magical algorithm, which also seems to sort all the replies into some incomprehensible order whether they have been upvoted or not. (I know one can manually select 'Sort By: Oldest', but that gets reset each time you come back.) It's as if Apple tried to take Stack's best answer sorting and apply it to a discussion forum, which is a big usability fail if you ask me. Anyway, I'm getting off-topic now so I'll leave it there (and see if the algorithm correctly leaves this comment at the bottom of the page 😂).

Edit: Somehow I managed to create a duplicate comment, even though I'm 99% sure I didn't hit the Post button on that first one—I just left the page briefly so I could test something. That breaks some long established rules about how a public forum should work. 🫤 I can't even edit it now that a few minutes have elapsed.

How to remove a sticker from a photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.