iPhone activation lock, What to do!?

I buy phones from online police auctions cheap and sell off for profit for a side job after my full time job to earn extra cash. For the first time I thought I’d try win a phone that is locked and try unlock it to sell. I was told from others that do the same as me that they use apple to unlock their phones they buy from auctions. I win a iPhone 13 Pro and with this phone it was iCloud locked and in lost mode. I decide to call Apple and I ask multiple times if they are able to unlock the phone for me and take the lost mode off, I am told yes! And to and my proof of purchase from the auction with the imei number and any other evidence that might help. I tell him I have the invoice with the description and imei number for the phone has the business name address account number. I also say I have the bank statement for proof of payment and told him I also have the text that I won the police auction and he said that’s all I need and to add to a link he’ll send me to request to unlock the phone. I do all that, and then that following night I call to see how long it may take. The second person tells me if I send the required documents it should take 24 hours. I tell her what I had sent and she says that’s all I need to get help with activation lock and lost mode. After 24 hours I noticed I hadn’t been emailed about anything so I call and ask what is happening with the phone, the third person says she doesn’t understand why I was told it takes 24 hours when it states it takes 7 working days🤦🏾‍♂️ I tell her what’s wrong with the phone and what I had sent to help with my request, she also tells me that Apple can help with what I want done and I just need to wait 7 working days. After 8 working days, the phone is still locked and in lost mode. I call to see what is happening and tell the forth person about the situation, he’s sounded confused straight away and then says that Apple does not help with lost mode. I then ask if I can speak to a supervisor which he was happy to do. I speak to the supervisor which is the fifth Apple employee and I then explain everything from the start and every conversation I had. She apologised and says let’s get started with onlocking the phone for you. I stop her and ask so we can take the activation lock off and lost mode? She says “sorry we can not continue as the phone is in lost mode, if it was only activation lock we can do that for you”. Then says she needs to decline my request. I asked her so if my phone was only activation locked/iCloud locked you can help me!? She said “yes”. Couple days later I call to double check if they couldn’t unlock the phone and the sixth person I spoke to which was another supervisor (2nd supervisor I spoke to) says after I explained everything that it would be best if I just bought a phone from a trusted Apple supplier like Noel leaming. I say I buy them from auctions cheap to resell for profit as a side job for extra cash. She never said yea or no to me about being able to unlock the phone but said my request is declined. Before she declined me she said that the Apple tech people are the only people that can decline a request. But on apples behalf she said she will decline my request which confused me as she clearly told me only tech people can decline a request. I call tonight maybe a week later. To ask if I can get any new phones unlocked if it is only activation locked as a supervisor has already told me yes but I want to make sure I don’t buy the phone for nothing and I get declined again. This supervisor said no, after 30 minutes of talking I realise we are talking about 2 different phones. For 30 minutes I was talking to myself about a new phone I may buy that is locked again on the police online auction. She thought I was talking about the iPhone 13 Pro that was in lost mode, and 2 times I heard her say they cannot do anything about my phone in lost mode when I wasn’t talking about that phone, I asked her to listen clearly and I say multiple times if I buy another phone that is activation locked, can you help me unlock it with the proof of purchase and that I send. She brings up the iPhone 13 Pro and says no they can’t help with lost mode🤦🏾‍♂️ then I tell her I want to complain. She tells me it says on apples site that I need the original receipt of purchase from the store it was bought from, I say it doesn’t say that in the request part to get them unlocked and she says yes so I go and look and it doesn’t, all it says is we need proof of purchase documentation with the imei number. Which I had and will have to do future phones. After talking for more then an hour and a half she couldn’t really tell me anything. She told me they couldn’t help but wasn’t sure and to try my luck. I have friends that’s had it done so might try trough them next time. What should I do?

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on May 14, 2024 4:41 AM

5 replies

May 14, 2024 5:02 AM in response to Bazalbrush

The last person you spoke with was the most truthful. It doesn't matter who or where you bought the phone. It is in Lost mode and Activation Locked. And you are NOT the person who originally set up the phone. Your receipt is useless. Apple will ONLY unlock the phone for the original buyer who can present the original purchase receipt, which clearly shows the serial number on the receipt.

You won't get this phone unlocked. Nor should you have the ability to have it unlocked. You wasted your money.

Read this --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

May 14, 2024 4:56 AM in response to Bazalbrush

Apple ID and Activation Lock

iCloud uses Apple ID credentials.

If you do not remember the Apple ID Password then follow the steps given in this Apple Article -> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you do not remember the Apple ID then follow the steps given in this Apple Article -> If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

May 14, 2024 5:07 AM in response to Bazalbrush

Bazalbrush wrote:

I buy phones from online police auctions cheap and sell off for profit for a side job after my full time job to earn extra cash.

For the first time I thought I’d try win a phone that is locked and try unlock it to sell. I was told from others that do the same as me that they use apple to unlock their phones they buy from auctions.

Activation Lock is an anti-theft measure to prevent thieves, dishonest finders, and anyone else who comes into possession of a stolen or lost iPhone from enjoying the use of it. Why in the world would Apple unlock a phone which was Activation Locked and bought from an "online police auction"?

If the phone belonged to the police department themselves, then that department could have followed Apple's procedures to prepare the phone for resale. But you know as well as I do that these are lost and stolen phones which happened to fall into the custody of the police. Phones whose original owners didn't look for them at the police station in time, but whose original owners did not voluntarily part with them. Activation Lock is meant to protect the interest of these owners – and it sounds to me like it is doing its job!

I win a iPhone 13 Pro and with this phone it was iCloud locked and in lost mode. I decide to call Apple and I ask multiple times if they are able to unlock the phone for me and take the lost mode off, I am told yes!

Apple will clear Activation Lock for an original owner, who has proof of original purchase from Apple. The proof must be satisfactory to Apple, including identifying the specific phone. Apple might also clear Activation Lock on behalf of the estate/family of an owner who died – but only after the Executor of the estate provided proper legal documentation.

Barring that, the Activation Lock stays on. As it very properly did for you.

(snip)

Then says she needs to decline my request.

I say I buy them from auctions cheap to resell for profit as a side job for extra cash. She never said yea or no to me about being able to unlock the phone but said my request is declined.

I call tonight maybe a week later. To ask if I can get any new phones unlocked if it is only activation locked as a supervisor has already told me yes but I want to make sure I don’t buy the phone for nothing and I get declined again.

You will be declined. Again, and again, and again.

I have friends that’s had it done so might try trough them next time. What should I do?

Get out of this "business" of buying lost and stolen phones on the cheap – and then trying to get Apple to remove the Activation Locks, so that you can get something for nothing.

iPhone activation lock, What to do!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.