Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Selecting text making app freeze

Whenever I go to select text in any app, it makes whatever app I'm using freeze up. Not my phone, just the app. At first it was just if I selected ANY text (either by double-tapping or manually choosing select) but now it's just when I try to select more than one word (either by double-tapping or moving the cursor). The only way to fix the app being frozen is to remove the app from the carousel and reopen it. I haven't been able to find any information on this and it's frustrating. I have an XR and it has iOS 17.5 installed, but worth noting I was having the same issue with 17.4.1.

iPhone XR

Posted on May 15, 2024 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2024 7:05 PM

(1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(2) If the above does not work then - Double check to ensure that you have ample free storage space available on your iPhone. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ About ➡️ Available: Here you will see the available storage space on your iPhone. You should maintain at least 15GB or more free storage space for the iPhone’s efficient operation.

(3)) If the above is not the solution then -You may have a poor battery condition which cannot provide sufficient power for peak performance. What is the Battery Health of your iPhone? Open Settings ➡️ Battery ➡️ Battery Health and let us know which percentage you see for Maximum Capacity. Also note what is written under Peak Performance. If your battery's Maximum Capacity shows a value of 80% or less, then it has gone through its lifecycle and therefore should be replaced, according to Apple.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2024 7:05 PM in response to rlewiss

(1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(2) If the above does not work then - Double check to ensure that you have ample free storage space available on your iPhone. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ About ➡️ Available: Here you will see the available storage space on your iPhone. You should maintain at least 15GB or more free storage space for the iPhone’s efficient operation.

(3)) If the above is not the solution then -You may have a poor battery condition which cannot provide sufficient power for peak performance. What is the Battery Health of your iPhone? Open Settings ➡️ Battery ➡️ Battery Health and let us know which percentage you see for Maximum Capacity. Also note what is written under Peak Performance. If your battery's Maximum Capacity shows a value of 80% or less, then it has gone through its lifecycle and therefore should be replaced, according to Apple.

Axel F.

May 15, 2024 7:17 PM in response to rlewiss

The same exact thing has been happening to me! I’m so glad I found this thread, because I’ve been feeling so frustrated that this update seems to have twisted my phone up. After the update, every time I try to select a text, my whole app freezes. I have to swipe out of the app completely, and sometimes when I get back on it’s still frozen and takes a minute for everything to reset. I also can’t search photos in my gallery, I couldn’t copy pictures for a while, and now it seems my phone just freezes up where text is concerned entirely. I need help. Tried to see if I can update it more, but everything gets stuck on a loading screen.

May 24, 2024 12:20 PM in response to Axel Foley

Tried this with my phone (I am having the same problem) but the phone starts to place an emergency call instead of rebooting. It's a 13 Pro Max running 17.4.1. Any advice? I have been quitting apps and rebooting the phone a lot in the last week or two, but it keeps happening: total freeze of the app (but not the OS) when I try to select text in the keyboard in any app.

Thanks,

-Matt

Selecting text making app freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.