M4 iPad Pro 13 inch Apple Pencil Pro not accepting squeeze and double tap settings.

In Settings, Apple Pencil shows "off" for squeeze and double tap. When I touch and select an option and return to Apple Pencil screen, still shows "off". If I go back to settings, the correct item is checked. Squeeze and double tap do not have effect, for example in Notes. Hover and roll do work in Notes.

running 17.5 (21F84)

Restarted iPad. Forgot Pencil and reconnected, still same behavior. Advise me, please.

iPad Pro (M4, 2024)

Posted on May 15, 2024 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2024 4:32 PM

You are not the first to describe issues with Apple Pencil Pro settings.

The new Pencil was only released today - with iPadOS 17.5 similarly only released on the preceding Monday. It is quite possible that some bugs exist at this time.

Try a forced restart of your iPad - as this may clear the issue. If the problem doesn't clear, you might be well advised to wait for a couple of days while more information becomes available.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2024 4:32 PM in response to Ron Jeffries

You are not the first to describe issues with Apple Pencil Pro settings.

The new Pencil was only released today - with iPadOS 17.5 similarly only released on the preceding Monday. It is quite possible that some bugs exist at this time.

Try a forced restart of your iPad - as this may clear the issue. If the problem doesn't clear, you might be well advised to wait for a couple of days while more information becomes available.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

May 16, 2024 6:26 AM in response to Ron Jeffries

Per my reply to your other thread, for completeness here, be aware that settings for your Apple Pencil are found in two separate locations in iPad settings:

• Settings > Apple Pencil
  • Settings > Accessibility > [Physical & Motor] Apple Pencil

You should note that the secondary Accessibility settings are only visible when the Pencil itself is "active".

May 16, 2024 6:12 AM in response to sarandipity111

There is a video on the Procreate site saying that their version with the new Pencil stuff is still in the works.

Thanks to serandipity111 and LotusPilot, and those who clicked "Me Too". I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I did play with Accessibility last night, but not sure I did the turn on double tap thing. Will try it when I'm next in the room with the new iPad.

I agree that it's early days and probably will get sorted. I did file a bug report with Apple as well. Thanks again!

M4 iPad Pro 13 inch Apple Pencil Pro not accepting squeeze and double tap settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.