Please share any FCPX Library Management tips or best practices you might have for working on longer 4K Rec. 709 projects

I received some great tips yesterday from the community on the dos and don'ts of working with master files in FCPX and transcoding BT 2020 to Rec 709 best practices. Today's question builds on these questions. What is the best way to setup and manage the huge FCPX library of a 70-90 minute 4K rec.709 documentary?

How I'm thinking of managing the FCPX library: The footage was filmed with a full frame Sony Alpha camera set to HLG BT 2020 4K. I'm using a fast MacBook Pro with latest silicon chip (and the latest OS of course) and I will build the file with FCPX playback viewing set to Proxy Preferred until the final stages of editing and color grading. Because of the length of the project and size of the files, I'm going to also divide the FCPX library among multiple super fast external SSD external hard drives:

• A 4 terabyte SSD for rendered files,
  • A 2 terabyte SSD for original audio, video fcpxml files, and Logic Pro projects
  • 1 terabyte SSD for the Library

I'll need of course another external SSD card when I create the DCP container required for screening movies on the 2K Christie Projector at the theatre. Will have to use the HDMI port to be able to connect a fourth SSD external hard drive (there are only 3 USB-C ports) on the computer.

Am I on the right track?

P.S. Would be wonderful if FCPX or Apple Compressor added DCP containers transcoding as a feature.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on May 16, 2024 7:44 AM

4 replies

Please share any FCPX Library Management tips or best practices you might have for working on longer 4K Rec. 709 projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.