Need help setting up new macbook pro. Migration or manually? Have an Etrecheck report.

I have a new macbook pro and my old macbook pro beachballs a lot, and Finder and mail lock a fair amount of the time and need to be forced quit and reopened, sometimes multiple times with Finder. I want the new macbook Pro to run as smoothly as possible. And also want to clean up the old macbook Pro. I saw an old thread saying get an Etrecheck report to determine what to do to the old one and how to set up the new one. Can someone help me? Thank You.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 16, 2024 10:17 AM

3 replies

May 16, 2024 10:42 AM in response to urisilb

Given all that and given the various ages of all those apps, and given the migration from Intel to Apple silicon, I'd seriously consider migrating just files and documents and not everything else, and installing the latest versions of what you do currently need.

If you decide to keep this configuration...

• Remove the VPN app, unless you're geoshifting for CDN testing or similar. For security, don't bother. For privacy, don't.
  • Remove the add-on anti-malware. Use the built-in.
  • Remove Java, if you're not actively using that. If you update, read the Oracle licensing agreements around commercial use requirements.

I'd hope your new MacBook Pro has at least 32 GB memory too, because this one is well and truly stuffed.

May 16, 2024 11:29 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thank You Mr. Hoffman. I appreciate the detailed reply. I will follow your advice about just migrating what I need. But Ialaso want to clean up the old Macbook Pro as I will be using it a lot still. (The new one is going into my Music Studio and the old one wiull sty in the house and travel with me.) So any help cleaning up the old one, or getting the beach-balling to stop on it, or getting the Finder to be more stable, would be greatly appreciated. And if that is not something you are able or have the time to advise me on, should I consider paying the $18 or so through EtreCheck to get their suggested solutions. And/or is their some form of cache clearing that would also help? I am not that knowledgeable about my computers but I am good at following directions.

In terms of the old Macbook Pro, what do you mean when you say it is "well and truly stuffed"? And specifically re the old one:

• The VPN app is only for when I am out of the country and need access to certain websites. It is not on unless I am away. Do you think I should remove and reinstall it each time I go out of the country?
  • What add on malware did you see in the report
  • I am not sure what I would be suing Java for. I do not use it intentionally, but I am guessing there are some sites that require it to display videos or other images, no?

And in terms of the new one, which is as follows:

Apple M3 Pro chip with 11‑core CPU, 14‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine

36GB unified memory

2TB SSD storage

14-inch Liquid Retina XDR display²

96W USB-C Power Adapter

Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, headphone jack, MagSafe 3 port

Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English

Accessory Kit

Is there anything specific you think I should remove from it (or add to it) upon initial setup to get it to work more smoothly?

Thank you again for your expertise and willingness to help.

May 16, 2024 2:39 PM in response to urisilb

New Hardware: The hardware is a reasonable step up from what you have. I'd add a 5 or 6 TB HDD, or a NAS, for backup, particularly if you're using Time Machine. (IIRC, there was another backup tool in that config report.)

Why "stuffed"?: I'm particularly looking at how much physical memory is configured in that Mac, and how much is used.

Old hardware: Too much active stuff for too little Mac. I'd remove the VPN, the add-on anti-malware, Java, and probably the third-party block storage services except when using those as those can add a chunk of overhead.

VPNs: The commercial first-few-hops VPN providers badly solve a problem that hasn't existed for a decade or so, but do badly solve that non-problem in a way that is perfect for personally-identified metadata collection. And too many of the VPN providers look rather sketchy. As differentiated from first-few-hops VPNs, I do use end-to-end VPNs into associated networks (and usually the built-in VPN client).

Geoshifting: If I really needed geoshifting with some degree of metadata privacy, I'd look at running my own Algo server on a hosting provider somewhere in the target region.

When not in use: If not currently using the commercial first-few-hops VPN, I'd remove it to ensure none of my data is getting tangled with it, and that it's not active in my routing until and unless I need it. Some of the add-on VPNs still tie into network routing, even when supposedly not active.

"Badly solve"?: the commercial first-few-hops VPN providers use a very weak second tunnel wrapping just part of the existing and secure end-to-end tunnels, terminating that tunnel in a place to sniff all of your traffic metadata, and with all that traffic and that metadata directly tied to your credentials. It's an advertising and data-harvesters' dream setup.

Need help setting up new macbook pro. Migration or manually? Have an Etrecheck report.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.