How do I stop an elderly relative buying/subscribing to things like Apple News?

I need to stop my father from accidentally subscribing himself to Apple News on my credit card. I can't remove him from my family. But I can't let him accidentally subscribe to such an expensive service several times a year. He forgets he's not suppose to use the app because I tries to subscribe you.

And before anyone says something like: 'It's impossible to accidentally buy it' or something similar, you obviously don't have a parent with Alzheimer's.

I need to stop this from happening a third time.

Posted on May 17, 2024 3:52 AM

3 replies

May 18, 2024 10:11 PM in response to Nick_K-

Hi Nick_K-

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "How do I stop an elderly relative buying/subscribing to things like Apple News?"

"I need to stop my father from accidentally subscribing himself to Apple News on my credit card. I can't remove him from my family".

There are a few ways to think about, in choosing how to solve the situation ... We don't have much info. about which devices you use, or how family sharing is set up in your family. Suggesting you read through the ideas below, before choosing whether any may help best.

Perhaps you are the "organiser "for Family Sharing, as purchases are being charged to you.

Wondering if you may want to check your settings for purchases, and ensure your approval is required before purchases from Apple that you would be charged for can take place.

What is purchase sharing?

When the family organiser turns on purchase sharing, everyone in your family will receive access to apps, music, films, TV shows and books that family members buy. The family organiser will be billed for family members' purchases.

If needed: you can: Turn off purchase sharing and stop sharing a payment method

If you're the family organiser and you want family members to pay for purchases themselves, turn off purchase sharing:  

1. Go to your Purchase Sharing settings in Settings on your iPhone or iPador in System Settings on your Mac.
  2. Turn off purchase sharing:
    • On your iPhone or iPad, tap Stop Purchase Sharing.
    • On your Mac, click Turn Off, then click Stop Purchase Sharing.

When purchase sharing is turned off, you'll stop sharing your purchases and lose access to the purchases made by your other family members. However, you can continue to share subscriptions like Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade, but everyone must use their own payment method for purchases.

For what you can share: What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

____________________________________________________________________________________

If you wish you can: "Set Content & Privacy Restrictions to have Screen Time set restrictions for iTunes Store and App Store purchases".

1. "Go to Settings  > Screen Time.
  2. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions, then turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
  3. Set restrictions for store purchases and redownloads: Tap iTunes Store & App Store purchases."

(If needed there are also details in the article for setting a passcode for Screen Time / settings).

Above is from Apple support's online article:

Set communication and safety limits and block inappropriate content on iPhone - Apple Support

___________________________________________________________________________________

Also: See: Manage App Store purchases, settings, and restrictions on iPhone - Apple Support

Eg: says:

You can also set restrictions and customize your preferences for the App Store in Settings

In the above article: You can scroll down to see whether you want to: "Set content restrictions and prevent in-app purchases"

Eg: says:

"After you turn on content and privacy restrictions, do the following.

1. Go to Settings  > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, then turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
  2. Tap Store, Web, Siri & Game Center Content. " to see your options.

All the best :-)

May 19, 2024 3:33 PM in response to Nick_K-

Re: how do I cancel sharing with just one person?

Seems Apple's purchase sharing choice is either: turned on (for all family members), or turned off (family members pay for their own purchases).

The other option is to just remove one family member from family sharing:

Re: Screen time settings are for kids not adults.

Thank you for your opinion.

Seems many adults use screen-time settings to set limits for themselves.

Eg: makes one think twice before making a purchase if it requires Face ID, Touch ID, or a password etc., depending on the settings chosen.

If your father has an account balance in his Apple ID account, seems Apple would try charging that first, before charging the family sharing organiser.

How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

If you prefer: Unwanted subscriptions can be cancelled, and refunds requested.

May 19, 2024 10:38 AM in response to brbo

How do I do this for an adult? I thought this only works for children?

Wondering if you may want to check your settings for purchases, and ensure your approval is required before purchases from Apple that you would be charged for can take place.

Or how do I cancel sharing with just one person? I still want my kids to have access to the massive content library I have accumulated.

Screen time settings are for kids not adults.

How do I stop an elderly relative buying/subscribing to things like Apple News?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.