Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to setup Screen Time restrictions for child on an existing iPad?

I have an old iPad that was mine, my data and my iCloud account. I would like to setup that iPad for a child with Screen Time restrictions.

I have removed my iCloud account on the iPad, created and signed in on a new Apple ID for the child. It shows the child as the main one on the settings.

But when you go under Family it doesn’t show the child but show’s my wife as (Me). On my iPhone where I manage as the Organizer I see everyone but going to that child the iPad does now show up and says “As this device is used, screen time will be reported here.”

When a new app is requested or asked to download my wife gets the notification to approve and I do not. And I can’t even sign out of the child’s iCloud account on the ipad as it is grayed out.

One reason we have Apple is this is supposed to be easy, easier to manage a kid’s device but not so.

Posted on May 17, 2024 7:19 AM

7 replies

May 23, 2024 7:29 AM in response to loyed256

loyed256 wrote:

I did not do the first as I don't want to wipe the iPad clean, I want to take an existing iPad, as noted in the op, and add those controls. I did the second and then used that signed that Apple ID into the existing iPad.

That may be your problem. It's rarely a good idea to transfer an iPad to another user without wiping it completely.

How to setup Screen Time restrictions for child on an existing iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.