Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Motion Canvas just turns black

Good Evening Everyone!

Another one of my random, hopefully quick questions. (Thank goodness for you guys!)

I'm working along in Motion just great and all of a sudden (I swear I'm not doing anything!!) the screen goes from normal...to this. I save my work often, so if I close Motion and go back in everything is back to normal.

But seriously...is there a reason why it might be doing this? Thank you!!!

Posted on May 18, 2024 6:40 PM

5 replies

May 18, 2024 8:03 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

Neither one of your screenshots shows the Cell Controls. So, I'll make a guess.

You have Birth Rate set to 0. Birth Rate Randomness set to 0. Initial Number set to 23 (?), and you have the Life set to the default 5.

What happens with this is: you get 23 repetitions that play for 5 seconds and they all disappear after that 5 second point (end of life).

If this isn't the case, let us see the Cell Controls section as well as the timeline under the canvas with the Emitter layer selected.

May 18, 2024 8:11 PM in response to fox_m

Hey Fox_M!!

Thank you for responding! I already restarted Motion...so next time (it has happened twice) I will make sure to include screenshots of all the Cell Controls. Your guess could be pretty spot on, as the tutorial was having me set that Birth Rate to Zero for awhile. But without having it in front of me anymore it's hard to say.

I do have another what I think will be an easy one to answer...I am working with an emitter and the model is swimming away from me rather than towards me and I can't figure out why. Should I start another question thread and mark this one as "closed"? Thank you!!! And super great "seeing" you here!

May 18, 2024 8:30 PM in response to fox_m

Well. The tutorial has me going all over the place with that. So, now I don't think it's really fair to drag you into something maybe a little too prematurely? As much as I hate letting you go, now that you're here...I think that I probably should save your expertise for a time when I'm really screaming my head off.

I've actually gone in and restarted the whole thing. I noticed my original model (the source of the emitter) was facing backwards to begin with and while I'm not sure if that was the problem or not I'm retrying this to see if I'm just not following along correctly. I'm not sure if I can say who I'm using for tutorials - but everyone knows them and they are EXCELLENT. I seriously have paid for like 7 tutorials already and they have been invaluable (along with you and Luis) So really, it's usually always my error.

Let me retry this and if I still find myself having this problem, hopefully I'll catch you online again and you can troubleshoot me out of it like you always do. So, thank you as always and have a super great evening Fox!

Motion Canvas just turns black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.