Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Audio input problems with garageband

For some reason I'm having issues recording audio with garageband.

Whenever I try to record my voice it sometimes just cuts out and comes back like the mic input volume got set to 0 and back or something. This happens especially on drawn out noises like a long "aaaah" for example and happens less when doing diverse noises like regular talking/singing.

I normally use an AT2020USB condenser microphone with a WH-1000XM4 heaphone plugged in to it for the output, but I also tested it using the Mac's microphone and the same results happen.

This only happens when using garageband as when checking both microphones' output on other recording software, I don't have this problem.

I didn't have this problem before but now it's constantly happening, making recording impossible.

Also, when using a headphone paired with monitoring output setting (the setting allowing to listen to what is being recorded by the mic) I also get weird sound bugs and tics. For example, when just playing an empty project, I will hear the metronome twice at a delay, as if the Mic is picking up on it despite there being no way for it to happen. I don't know if those two problems are related but I felt like I should mention it.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 19, 2024 10:15 AM

1 reply

Audio input problems with garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.