iPad Pro 11-inch 2024 getting “cannot use accessory draws too much power” with external monitor

Traded in my iPad Pro 11 2nd generation (from 2020) for a new Pro 11 that’s just come out. With Magic Keyboard etc. Now getting a “cannot use accessory draws too much power” error constantly with the same 34 inc external monitor connected via the iPad’s USB C port. This worked fine with the older iPad. Have tried powering the device using additional mains power via USB-C into the Magic Keyboard port. The monitor has normal power attached and working. No idea why the new iPad is any different from the old in terms of powering an external device (which doesn’t need to power the monitor anyway, as it has its own power). Perhaps its a setting I need to toggle.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 19, 2024 4:38 PM

5 replies

May 21, 2024 6:54 PM in response to Ashleybcox

I spoke too soon. Every day now I need to reboot my iPad with the monitor connected for it to recognise it again. There must be a firmware / iOS issue as you would think once the same accessory has been connected once (and it works fine when connected for several hours, even plugging and unplugging in the same day), it should always connect…..but alas not for me. Frustrating.

May 24, 2024 2:49 AM in response to Ashleybcox

While testing with the a different but same monitor is a valid and useful test - the issue that you have may be common to the monitor model.

While acknowledging that I might have been more explicit in my description, in this context I was suggesting that you try testing your iPad with an entirely different monitor model - as the object of the exercise is to establish whether or not the issue is with the iPad or other components.

iPad Pro 11-inch 2024 getting “cannot use accessory draws too much power” with external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.