How can I recover data from a frozen MacBook Pro?

My MBP has frozen suddenly it has enough space. I tried to do some first aid by taking out externally and into another Mac. It wasn’t successful. I can see the blue light flashes for while and then it stops. I n my manage to get into the terminal and find out an error says error 69808. I’m using Mac, 2011 late model and it has high Sierra operating system which used to open in >10 sec. I cannot do anything. I also tried to resend the prom and Ram SMC and even tried to recovery mode. I also tried to use the disk utility for the first aid once it was successful then later on it did not show up in the disk utility. I want to use a terminal in the Disk utility but its not available. Can you please help? I’m not scared of losing old Mac, but I’m really scared of losing my data. I’m attaching a screenshot of the terminal which says the error and some partition failure.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 19, 2024 4:56 PM

2 replies

May 22, 2024 1:47 PM in response to goevenu

First thing I would do is verify the health of this hard drive. If the drive is failing, then you need to know how badly in order to determine if there is anything you can do, or whether you should contact a professional data recovery service. Since the drive is formatted using HFS+, there is a chance using the paid app Disk Warrior could fix the issues assuming the drive is physically healthy since Disk Warrior will not work on a drive it deems is physically failing, so you would want to verify the health of the drive first before purchasing Disk Warrior.

You can check the health of the drive by running DriveDx (free trial period) and posting the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. I'm not sure if it will be able to access the health information when this "broken" laptop put in Target Disk Mode is connected to a newer Mac. It is possible to create & boot from a Linux USB stick to check the health of the hard drive on the 2011 laptop....just let me know if you are interested in the instructions.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected, but many times it won't report failing drives even when the drive is actually failing. Plus it won't tell you how bad the drive failure is.

If you don't have backups, then make sure you start backing up your new computer since there are a lot more new ways to permanently lose access to the data on the more recent Macs due to all the hardware, software, and security changes. Apple includes Time Machine backup software with every copy of macOS to make it easy for people to have backups....the user just needs to purchase an external drive.

How can I recover data from a frozen MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.