Identifying Unauthorized Access to iCloud Files and Photos

Hello,

I suspect that someone is manipulating and editing my iCloud files and photos. They have access to my content, yet their device does not appear in my list of connected devices. It seems they might be using an advanced method to conceal their presence. How can I identify who is accessing my iCloud account in this manner?

Thank you for your assistance.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on May 19, 2024 8:25 PM

3 replies

May 19, 2024 8:39 PM in response to quinton14

Nobody here can help with advanced exploits or sophisticated malware or such.

If not already reviewed, and implemented as appropriate…

Run Safety Check:

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

Verify you know all of the trusted devices.

Change your Apple ID password:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Enable two-factor authentication, if not already enabled.

If your equipment meets the requirements, enable Advanced Data Protection:

Advanced Data Protection for iCloud - Apple Support

Change your device passcode to something with 8, 12, or even more characters.

Enable and use Face ID to avoid needing to enter the longer passcode quite as often.

May 20, 2024 3:04 PM in response to Justme223

It is vanishingly rare to find evidence of compromises in logs.

I’ve yet to see any evidence of compromises post4d around here.

Lots of screenshots of ominous but benign log and telemetry chatter, sure, but no evidence.

If you suspect compromise, then follow what I suggested above. You particularly suspect what amounts to hugely valuable and espionage-like exploits targeting iCloud, which puts investigating that far outside the realm of a casual discussion and some screenshots, too.

Evaluating or decontaminating a device is an expensive and tedious project at best, the results are far from certain*, and the effort requires direct and extended access to the device or service to rummage.

*conclusively proving a negative—that a device is not hacked, or that iCloud is not hacked—is somewhere between difficult and impossible.

Identifying Unauthorized Access to iCloud Files and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.