Problem with three displays...

I have a heavily equipped 2024 MacPro (M2 Ultra chip, 192 Gigs of RAM) with three displays: one Apple Studio Display and two Apple Pro Display XDRs. The Studio Display is on the left, and the two XDRs are center and right. The center XDR is set as the "Main" display.

The right XDR has a user-controlled brightness setting accessible through the "Displays" control panel but the center XDR does not; there simply is no software setting for the center XDR. In consequence the center display is significantly darker than the other two on it's left and right. Please see the two screen grabs below.

I also note that the two dialog boxes are different in regards to the "Color profile" and "Preset" scroll boxes, with different options being available in the two.

This is frustrating for a $5000 display ($6000 if you include the stand!)

Thanks for helping me address this. The center display is definitely darker than it should be.

Pro Display

Posted on May 20, 2024 8:06 AM

3 replies

May 20, 2024 8:26 AM in response to Cardinal Red

On older Macs, the slider would disappear when you failed to provide a low-speed path for the control information, such as a USB connection.

That makes me think about: perhaps your displays CABLES are not quite good enough to carry all that display data AND the EDID commands at the same time, or too many are jammed onto too-few ThunderBolt ports.

¿Are all your cables either the original captive display cable, or cables with the genuine ThunderBolt trademark symbol on the ends?

May 20, 2024 9:10 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

THANK YOU for responding...wow!

YES, all of my cables are native Thunderbolt, but I will tell you that I just tried the "engineer's first response" (???) - I restarted the machine, and now BOTH XDRs present with the same control panel options, including a Brightness control....

This actually worries me more, as I don't see how this is a proper fix, but I will take it for now. My center XDR was noticeably darker this morning, and that's why I looked into this...I think I would have noted this in the past, so it's probably that the real issue is "what caused this difference in behavior between the two XDRs to originate?"

If I notice or come up with something else I'll repost....THANK YOU and have a good day.

John

[Edited by Moderator]

Problem with three displays...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.