Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Custom Data Format to Include Superscript

If is possible to have a Custom Data Format to include superscript?  Currently, I’m having to apply the superscript to the 4th digit. It would be nice if I could define the format, then enter 4.109 and get the desired results:

Thank you

Posted on May 20, 2024 11:24 AM

4 replies

May 21, 2024 5:21 AM in response to JessA1965

I don't see any way to do it with custom formatting. It can be created in another cell using a formula and a lookup table to convert the last digit to a superscript (actually it strips off the last character and replaces it with a superscript version of it). But then you still have a column of the non-superscript versions and the formula result is not copy/pastable, it loses the superscript when "paste formula results" is used.

May 22, 2024 5:22 PM in response to JessA1965

If it is a formula then you might be able to do what I suggested, as part of the formula in the same cell.

If you are typing these numbers in, when you get to that digit, use Command Control Shift + to make it a superscript then type the digit. Just remember that it will make the number a text "number". The numeric functions will ignore it but +-*/ will accept it as a number. In a separate column you can multiple it by 1 to make it an actual number if you need to.

If you are doing this a lot and Command Control Shift + is a bit much to type, you can redefine the keyboard shortcut to something easier in System Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts->App Shortcuts.

Custom Data Format to Include Superscript

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.