Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Problems recovering High Sierra onto an old MBP

I am trying to rejuvenate an old MBP for a friend. Since it wasn't booting, I erased the "OS X Base System" internal volume and rebooted into recovery mode. In case it is relevant, I formatted it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as it was previously Mac OS Extended. So far so good.

Unfortunately, when I ask it to reinstall High Sierra (the default option), I repeatedly get the message that the recovery server could not be contacted.

I have tried checking the date, and while I don't get a regular terminal login but a Bash 3.2 terminal with root (#) privileges, it appears to be correct. The only possible error is that it is reporting a time in UTC while here in the UK we are now on BST (DST -> UTC +1). I can't see how to tell the date command that, as I can't work out what the "-d dst" option does and in any case I'm not even sure if it is relevant.

I have tried using my 2019 MBP running Sonoma 14.4.1 (not quite up to date yet) to download an installer so that I can create a bootable USB, but App Store tells me that either it is not available or else my MBP is not compatible with it (which I can believe).

So nothing is working, and I am extremely reluctant to go to a non-Apple site promising me a download of the disk image. Where do I go next?

Thanks

Posted on May 20, 2024 2:47 PM

1 reply

Problems recovering High Sierra onto an old MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.