Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Photos will not open and screenshots won't save

Until last week, my photos would open without an app. Now, they will not open unless they are selected from Photoshop or Lightroom. When I double-click on a photo, it looks like it's opening but then doesn't.

Several months ago, my screenshots stopped storing (I don't know where they're stored, if at all) on the desktop. Yes, the option is selected to save on the desktop.

How do I solve these problems? Are they related?

I'm on Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 20, 2024 4:57 PM

7 replies

May 21, 2024 8:51 AM in response to ConnectedIn

When you say "my photos would open without an app" are you referring to QuickLook, where you click on a picture and hit the spacebar to see a preview of the picture? All files, including picture files, must be viewed with a app. In Quicklook the app is Finder.

If you want to be able to double click on a picture and have it open in a particular app, you can do this: Select a picture on your desktop and type command-i (⌘-i) to get the info window. Towards the bottom it has a field for

"Open with:" and it tells the default app for that kind of file. My default for jpegs is the app GraphicConverter, but the usual default is Preview. You can pick any app that will work, and you can click "Change All" to make it open all files of that sort with the same app.

You didn't mention how you take a screenshot.

Take a screenshot - Apple Support

In some cases the screenshot goes to the clipboard (my favorite.) In other cases the screenshot appears for editing. In others it goes to a folder of your choice. you can change the default location of saved screenshots from the Options menu in the Screenshot app. What, exactly, have you done?

May 21, 2024 1:44 PM in response to ConnectedIn

A jpg file is not a picture-- it is a bunch of 1s and 0s that must have a program to turn those 1s and 0s into something recognizable. QuickLook gives a temporary view using the Finder app. Double clicking on a jpg file is usually set to open an app that will show the picture and provide viewing and editing options. I showed a picture earlier that showed the app in the info window.

If you click on a jpg file and type command-i (⌘-i), then an Information Window opens. It looks like this:

This is for a movie, and the arrow points to "Open With:" and the field says "Quicktime Player app"

When I double click on this file, or any file like this, it opens in the app Quicktime Player and pays the movie.

Here is part of an info window like I showed earlier:

As I said earlier, "My default for jpegs is the app GraphicConverter, but the usual default is Preview. You can pick any app that will work, and you can click "Change All" to make it open all files of that sort with the same app."

So, when you check the Get Info for a picture, what does it say for "Open with?"

May 21, 2024 12:46 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Regarding opening photos on my computer: In the past, I could simply double-click on a photo in any (not iMac photos) folder I have organized on my computer, and it would open without needing an app. I can open them in PS and LRC but that isn't efficient for what I need to do at times.

Screenshots: Shift-Comand-3, 4 or 5. In the past, they would open and save on my desktop. Yes, I see the little list of save options at the bottom. However, although I have Desktop selected and always have, they do not save. I have found some of them in Dropbox - huh - never saw that before? How did they get there?

I see other posts in the Community with the same Screenshot problem.

May 21, 2024 1:17 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

I'd send you a screenshot, but I can't. Yes, I see the list of save options at the bottom. I have always had Desktop selected. Again, until the last few weeks it will not save accordingly. I don't know where it is going.

I tried playing around with the list and still can't locate the screenshots.

Yes, I see the small editable preview, which will open on my screen. It disappears when I want to close it and save it to my desktop.

Explain the Get Info window for a picture. It never says and never has said 'open with' when I just want to open a jpg to view it without any editing or apps.

I've been using Apple products for over 30 years. I'm a photographer and pretty skilled at using a computer. These problems have been recent and I'm wondering if they have to do with the iOS update. I can't track it to a specific update that because at the time it didn't occur to me that it could have been an update.

Photos will not open and screenshots won't save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.