Big sur Time Machine backup to catalina?

I am replacing the failed ssd on my 2013 27” imac. That ssd was itself a hdd replacement. I have a Time machine backup created in Big Sur. Apple seems to offer Catalina os via internet recovery to my imac, based on recent efforts. Will my big sur backup work? If not, need a way to install big sur on the new ssd. Thanks!

iMac 27″

Posted on May 20, 2024 4:46 PM

7 replies

May 22, 2024 3:44 PM in response to BDAqua

As Bones McCoy says, “He’s dead, Jim.” I watched videos, got guidance and correct drive and kit from OWC (can’t say enough positive about them!). Only to find that the tech who previously replaced my hd with a ssd must have re-adhered the display with something other than adhesive strips. Maybe silicone adhesive caulk or even superglue? Impervious to gentle wedging, even when heated. I found a small gap in his adhesive line, could not extend it at all. So, the gods have spoken.

Once again, thanks to everyone here who pitched in to try to help me remedy my iMac woes. Great folks here!

Big sur Time Machine backup to catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.