How do I deal with "Unknown files" on my MacBook Air ?

I am getting unknown files, like at least 300 files, I deleted them all once when I was cleaning my Mac but they reappeared, I am not sure if those files are affecting my Mac's running quality. for example: one of the file names is "oteljs_agave_1dc45f7a7be81b74944d97fb2754ebde.js" when I open it, it just shows codes from java script. I am not sure if I should delete them or just let them be.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on May 20, 2024 7:15 PM

4 replies

May 21, 2024 9:27 AM in response to Raks_004

The presence of many thousands of JavaScript files is normal on Macs.

I recommend that you start from the beginning and describe your overall concern. If your Mac is not performing as well as you expect, the first step is to determine if it performs just as poorly in Safe Mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Write back with your observations. Don't just go deleting things without justification, and never use any "cleaning" product to do that either.

May 22, 2024 12:03 PM in response to John Galt

yes, my Mac is running very slow for example I can't open Discord and Minecraft together or my Mac will crash or if I open the Chegg website in Chrome then it gets super laggy like so laggy that it takes at least 15 sec to close the tab. I thought it was those files that were making my Mac laggy but I am not sure. I use safe mode on my Mac and let you know, thanks for suggesting it.

How do I deal with "Unknown files" on my MacBook Air ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.