Assistive access overrides screen time restrictions

I have screen time restrictions set up on my kid’s iPad, and it was working great until the new assistive access feature showed up in the iOS 17 update (I believe). There doesn’t seem to be a way for me to restrict their ability to manipulate the assistive access feature; there is no password control on assistive access or settings.

Basically when they run out of screen time allowed apps or when downtime starts (I still allow certain apps like Libby to run during downtime) they just go into settings, assistive access, set up a new password, and enter assistive access. Then they just add whatever apps they want and screen time controls don’t have any affect.

I have tried to look it up on general Google search, Reddit, Apple and I usually just get an answer pointing me to “how to set up assistive access”.

How can I stop them from having access to assistive access or how do I stop them from being able to change the assistive access password?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 20, 2024 7:57 PM

3 replies

Assistive access overrides screen time restrictions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.