Assistive access overrides screen time restrictions

I have screen time restrictions set up on my kid’s iPad, and it was working great until the new assistive access feature showed up in the iOS 17 update (I believe). There doesn’t seem to be a way for me to restrict their ability to manipulate the assistive access feature; there is no password control on assistive access or settings.

Basically when they run out of screen time allowed apps or when downtime starts (I still allow certain apps like Libby to run during downtime) they just go into settings, assistive access, set up a new password, and enter assistive access. Then they just add whatever apps they want and screen time controls don’t have any affect.

I have tried to look it up on general Google search, Reddit, Apple and I usually just get an answer pointing me to “how to set up assistive access”.

How can I stop them from having access to assistive access or how do I stop them from being able to change the assistive access password?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 20, 2024 7:57 PM

8 replies

Jun 22, 2024 3:19 AM in response to maxjrr

maxjrr wrote:

I have actually reached out to Apple Support. There is no way to restrict it. They just directed me to provide a feedback on Apple’s site. Maybe it will be fix in a future release.

Good to know. If enough reports are submitted, Apple might assign resources to investigate and resolve the issue.

For the benefit of others, comments and bug reports are submitted to Apple using its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

If submitting a Bug Report, ensure that you include details of your iPad model and installed version of iPadOS within the body-text of your report. Don't rely upon the pick-list - as this rarely includes the current versions.

Jun 18, 2024 3:16 AM in response to maxjrr

Have you considered setting-up the Assistive Access Passcode yourself - and while doing so, associate your own AppleID (for which the Password is known only to you) with it? Once set, your children will not be able to reset the Assistive Access Passcode that will also only be known to you.

Similarly, when setting-up the ScreenTime Passcode on your children's devices, associate this with your AppleID - not that of your children.

Jun 20, 2024 8:48 PM in response to LotusPilot

So, when you are setting up assistive access you can enter your AppleID as a recovery contact in case you forget the password. However, if the device is not in assistive access the kid can just reset the password. There is no setting to stop them. This is the problem.

At this point we want to keep them from entering into assistive access because when in assistive access they can add whatever apps they want and screen controls have no impact.

Additionally, I want it to be their device - this is not a toddler. I do not want my information on their device. I also need to help them learn how to control their usage - hence using parental controls.

Assistive access overrides screen time restrictions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.