Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

2015 iMac running Mojave hangs on Start up

So I have a 2015 iMac i7, 64GB that is running the Mojave. I restarted it tonight and it hung on reboot. I tried restarting, and did usual restarts clearing PRAM and such. I then booted into recovery mode and performed a disk repair, and no problems were found. Rebooting several times didn't resolve the issue. Each time it hung. And, yes, I let it sit for a good long time (more than an hour at one point).

I then booted back into recovery in order to try reinstalling the system, but when I tried that it couldn't do it, I presume because it couldn't find the internet. Nowhere in the process was I asked to connect to the internet, which in retrospect seems strange, and the internet is not available on the recovery screen. I'm wondering what's the best way to proceed on this.

The iMac is my secondary computer, which I use mostly for doing tasks that require access to older software that can't run above Mojave, if you are wondering why the computer is still on Mojave.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2024 11:27 PM

15 replies

May 21, 2024 5:34 AM in response to Buhler James

Ouch, have you tried a Safe Boot?

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Have you tried one of these modes?

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

It sounds like Hardware Failure though.

May 21, 2024 8:18 AM in response to BDAqua

Agreed. It’s weird that I get different behaviors with command-R and command-option-R beyond being offered different systems to install. Since otherwise the pages look the very much the same. But command-option-R asks for the WiFi (as expected) and then goes through a routine with a spinning globe before the Apple logo and progress bar comes up. Whereas command-R goes straight to logo and progress bar. Command option R yields a wifi indicator in the bar at the top, allowing me to choose wifi there as well. So peculiar. New system is installing. I’ll report back in four hours or so when the system is done installing as to whether the computer uses self now boots all the way.

May 21, 2024 12:43 PM in response to BDAqua

So I was able to create a bootable external drive and start up from that. I'm still getting some odd behavior, including the Finder raising the ball of confusion for an extended period of time that required a restart. But I can now work from the machine. I can rescue a few bits that hadn't been properly backed up (since I mostly store this machine's documents in the cloud, the need for a Time Machine backup hadn't seemed pressing).

If I now make a Time Machine backup of the old system drive while running under the bootable external drive, will that allow me to restore all my various settings like a regular Time Machine back up if I use that back up to restore or does that only work when you run the Time Machine when the disk is the system disk? Or is it best just to nuke it with a reformat, reinstall the system and then move what I need back on it by hand, like a clean reinstall?

May 21, 2024 2:58 PM in response to Buhler James

It may be possible to restore from a TM disc, just too tough to tell if it'd be good or bad.

You don't have to useTM actually, you ca use Migration Assistant to Migrate Settings to a new user, a new user because that is the way MA works when there's a user already you're running from.

Setup Assistant will run & do just like MA if no user exists on first boot so doesn't need to create a new user.:)

May 22, 2024 8:25 PM in response to BDAqua

ok, now I have a new problem. I can't seem to get the migration assistant to read my old settings. It will read the new "Update" drive but not the Macintosh HD - Data drive. And the latter has all the settings and apps, whereas the former seems to have been the attempt to upgrade it to Monterey, the last system that this machine supports. Any idea how to migrate the settings? Also if I want to try installing Mojave again on that internal hard drive, is there a way to do that with you formatting it. I plan to do that soon, but there's still some clean up I'd like to do if it's possible to make that drive bootable again so I can access my old account..

2015 iMac running Mojave hangs on Start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.