Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why can't I sort this collumn?

Every cell has same formula. I have not locked or frozen the table or anything. Why am i not able to sort it Asc or Dsc?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 21, 2024 12:55 PM

4 replies

May 21, 2024 5:38 PM in response to PixelCantina

Looking at the formula I think it is because you are using ROW as part of creating the condition. After you sort the column, whatever row gets sorted to B1 will be the same formula as it was before, again using 1 (the row number) to create the condition, and it will get the same answer as was there before. And same for all the other rows.

Imagine if the column B formula was just =ROW(). Sorting it won't work.

May 22, 2024 8:03 AM in response to Badunit

I wasn't sure what you meant by the third column idea. Isn't ROW needed for the reference on that table? Can you provide a screen shot of what you meant?

But either way, this got me thinking. I created another table to simple reference the cells in the table with the 'counting' formulas. Then i'm able to sort that new table!

Below the tables on the left is the one that counts how many time the words have been used from another table.

Above I told Table2 A1 to call Table1 A2...

...then Table2 B1 to call Table1 B2

This seems to work fine.

Why can't I sort this collumn?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.