iPhone Apps auto-closes in background

Hi all, I am an iPhone 12 user for the past two years. I have been experiencing this weird issue of apps automatically closing in the background while multitasking. At first, I thought it was a Ram issue, then I learnt that it is an issue with iOS at least for me. Then I started searching in this discussion pages about the issue and I found similar complaints regarding the same some dating back to 3 years. That means, Apple is not trying to fix the issue or they are not acknowledging the issue. Here are some links to those older posts in this community community.

iPhone sometimes closes your background a… - Apple Community

My apps keep closing in the background on… - Apple Community

The second post describes the issue exactly. Most of the explanations or possible resolutions provided in those threads are useless. I have turned background app refresh off in my iPhone. If I am using two apps for multitasking and suddenly, if a phone call comes, the two apps, will reloads totally after the phone call. Which is very weird because we might be watching a video in YouTube and the phone call comes and after the call, the video will disappear and YouTube is reloading. I don’t think this is a Ram issue. this definitely is an iOS bug , I have reported it several times, but there is no use anyone else is experiencing the same?

iPhone 12

Posted on May 21, 2024 7:52 PM

2 replies

May 21, 2024 8:51 PM in response to syamkg007

iPhones do have a small amount of RAM compared to your average computer as you mentioned, but that is simply because it’s not necessary. Keeping an extreme amount of apps running in the background kills battery life quickly as well, which is why most phone designers, have opted to lower the amount of RAM found in their phones. The iPhone 12 for example, has 4GB of RAM. 4GB should be sufficient for normal use and multitasking between a few apps. Having YouTube reload after taking a call and your other examples however, is unusual. If you’re sure that this is an iOS issue, I would give you some generic advice. I’m sure you’ve taken the time to Hard Restart your device, and make sure that there aren’t any new available software updates. If not, do so. I’ve seen strange issues like this be resolved by resetting and restoring your device entirely, so that might be worth a try. Back up your phone to the cloud, then open Settings and scroll down to General. Scroll to the bottom and tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone. Tap reset. Then restore your device from your online backup, and see if the problem persists. I hope this helps!

May 21, 2024 10:19 PM in response to SniperJo12

Thank you for the response. Apple packs in smaller batteries and rams and make iPhones incapable of multitasking. I’ve tried troubleshooting with all possible solutions available in the internet (there aren’t many in iOS though unlike an android). I have resetted my device a year ago and still have the issue. I shall reset and check again. Although it seems like the issue is persistent in many iPhone models including an iPhone 14 Pro as per the links I’ve shared. So Apple is deliberately killing apps once exited. Which is simply making iOS experience very pathetic.

iPhone Apps auto-closes in background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.