Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Final Cut Pro Won't Open Without Loading Crashes That Necessitate A Computer Restart

I've been using FCPx for years. I just recently, after having made projects for four years on my current computer noticed FCP acting up. The project I was working on wouldn't allow me to view the content when played, it would skip through and then freeze up. It did this with all media added regardless of format. It would then remain frozen with no hope of recovery. So I'd have to quit FCP. Then I'd attempt to restart it and it wouldn't restart, it would get stuck like that and I had to restart the entire computer to quell the issue. Then the process began again. I've spent all day today removing the bulk of the library I'd had on it (amounting to around 200 GB's of memory) so that it's basically down to one library with barely any backup etc. I figured this would solve the issue, yet today as I attempted to add mov. files to the project once again the same problem came up. It wouldn't play the content when prompted and when I paused it to scrub back to what I needed to watch, it froze, acted like it was loading and had to be forced to quit. Now, once again it won't open so I will need to restart my computer again to have it come up. I reset my preferences at one point before this began to solve a previous issue. I don't know if doing that again is advised. . . I also restarted the program and computer after making changes to the library size and skimming it down to nothing so it had time to reset but it doesn't look like that's working. Honestly I've never had this many issues and I'm not sure where this is coming from all of the sudden. I had no problems making projects of similar style, length and content a month ago. Looking for any sort of guidance as I'm now going to be behind on my work. . . hoping to have this fixed as soon as possible.

I'm running an older version of Mac OS so I can't update the program. Other stats available upon request.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 21, 2024 8:53 PM

10 replies

May 22, 2024 2:06 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I tried resetting the preferences before. Would it make a difference to do so now that I've slimmed down the library size?

Was a bit wary to offer full disk access but here are the items found: (If this isn't helpful please let me know and I'll reconsider, just didn't want to jump to that right away if this would suffice.)

Report:

May 22, 2024 5:06 AM in response to totaltech777

Whenever the application crashes or is force quit you should trash the settings. Hold ⌥ ⌘ as you double click the library you want to open to launch the application. A dialog appears asking you if you want to Delete Preferences. 

Please post an EtreCheck report https://etrecheck.com giving the application Full Disk Access in Privacy & Security System Settings. Copy the report and use the Add Text button to paste the result into reply box. 

May 22, 2024 2:21 PM in response to totaltech777

The report indicates there was a kernel panic today, which is a system shutdown that can’t be caused by an application. The report thinks that the computer drive is failing, which is the likely cause of the kernel panic.

The first thing you should do is a complete backup of the system and then take it to a service technician. I don’t think an Apple Store will do anything with it, and if they did they would charge more than the computer is worth.

May 22, 2024 6:20 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Right, I actually watched that happen (as far as the panic shutdown). It's by no means a new computer but is definitely newer than my main desktop computer. This had been my work computer for the last four years. So, just to be sure I'm understanding you right, this issue could possibly be fixed by a service technician but anything outside of that, which may require Apple involvement, wouldn't be worth paying extra for in the long run? I've had small issues with the computer shutting down before, honestly I don't mind that as it's not my main. Everything is backed up to my external hard drives. I just want to be able to edit movies (among a few other issues) on this computer as this is it's main use.

Final Cut Pro Won't Open Without Loading Crashes That Necessitate A Computer Restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.