Can't boot from internet recovery

2011 MBP running 10.13.6 recently failed to boot, I ran internet recovery but unresponsive to every aspect, e.g. can't repair disc (every function greyed out), can't reload OS, can't recover from recent Time Machine backup. This latter function shows the most recent backup on the Time Machine disc which I select, but when I look for the disc to backup to, I can't see it. In Disc Utility I can see the base system, but as I said all options are greyed. Any help gratefully received, thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 21, 2024 9:26 PM

10 replies

May 21, 2024 9:48 PM in response to barryfrombarjarg

barryfrombarjarg Said:

"In Disc Utility I can see the base system, but as I said all options are greyed. Any help gratefully received, thanks."

-------

Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold Down: [Command + R] upon boot). Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

May 22, 2024 7:01 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your reply.

In Disk Utility there is one disc, disk0, Mac OS X Base System.

There is no Mount button. There is an Unmount button, but like the others igt is greyed out.

No matter how many times I close down and restart in Recovery mode, the same screen exists.

Is the hard drive actually being seen???

(This is in First Aid mode).

May 23, 2024 6:02 PM in response to barryfrombarjarg

Following my last post I've continued to investigate. I'm convinced the Hard drive is not being seen. On another Macbook I have, disc utility clearly shows 'Macintosh HD' with functions to verify, repair etc ready to be used. In this case I see only Base System, not Macintosh HD. The question is: what has happened to prevent me seeing the HD and repairing it? And what can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

May 23, 2024 9:10 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ahh, thanks Grant, that helps my understanding somewhat. Now, normally when connecting to Internet Recovery and opening Disk Utility the OS X installation disk Macintosh HD is seen, which can be verified, given first aid etc. Now why am I not seeing this?

In the same way, if I try to reinstall from a Time Machine backup, I likewise don't see the Macintosh HD as a destination to backup to. Again, why am I not seeing this, where is it hiding, and what do I have to do to find it? Many thanks for your help.

May 24, 2024 8:39 AM in response to barryfrombarjarg

if your version of Disk Utility,ity has the View menu, be sure you select "Show all devices" so that the PHYSICAL devices will be shown, not just [logical] Volumes.

When a device you KNOW exists will not tell Disk Utility is name and a reasonable non–zero size/capacity, that is the definition of DEAD. That drive can not to be repaired or erased in its current condition. Unless its cabling is faulty, it is no longer working and needs to be replaced, if possible. That diagnosis is definitive -- no second opinion is required.

MacBook Pro 2011 models have the possibility of replacing the drive (and cable, strongly recommended) with an SSD drive. Users who have done this report, "It's like getting a whole new computer!". Whether you want to spend money on this old one, or apply the money toward a newer computer is a judgement call only your wallet can make.

May 26, 2024 10:42 PM in response to barryfrombarjarg

Well a turn for the worst. I had a nagging doubt that the hard disk had failed, but went ahead and bought a new SSD anyway. Not an OWC, but a cheaper brand in case the disk proved not to be culprit. I also tested another cable, without effect. No matter what I do I am not able to see the Macintosh HD in Disk Utility. I have also tried a Mac USB keyboard and checked the seating of the two memory cards. I know these last two only affect starting up, but I'm at a loss to know where to go now. Anyone with ideas? Thanks.

Can't boot from internet recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.