MBP (2023) to 2 x external Samsung 24" monitors via USB-C/Thunderbolt...

Hi everyone, complete Mac newbie here, so apologies in advance for schoolboy errors/stupid questions.

We bought 3 x Macbook Pro 14" (SPB/12C CPU/18C GPU/18GB/1TB) Model A2992 on the understanding that they could output to two external 24" Samsung monitors via USB-C/Thunderbolt (Samsung S24A600UCU - S60UA Series - LED monitor - 24" - HDR)

So there are 3 Macbooks and 6 x Samsung screens, all the exact same make model, batch etc, but having issues on the reliability of at least one of the external screens via each Monitor. I should be clear that we are using the Samsung supplied cable that came bundled with the screens, not an HDMI or USB/TB to DP. I am (vaguely!) aware that there is a difference between USB-C and Thunderbolt 4 in terms of data rates and chips in the tips etc.

Most of the time, the Macs (with the lid closed, latest firmware installed on each) will support one external monitor, and seemingly dependent on Mercury being in retrograde or one of Jupiter's moon's 'Europa' being visible from London, they both work on all machines, but at random times.

I will be updating the firmware of the screens tomorrow as I've ordered a USB-A flash drive for the dedicated port on the back of the screens, but the Macs are all upto date. We've tried swapping cables between monitors, ports etc on the same machine, and switching between 'rigs' etc, so a decent amount of convergence testing! Me being the minority wanting to stay with PC, but the other two wanting go go Mac, we've done so. I am 100% sure that this is a limitation of me, not the Macs, I think that because the other two thought I knew my way round a PC, this meant the same for Macs. I assumed that they knew how to do the detail stuff on Macs as they were proponents.... So here we are asking you good people!

One other issue is on the Samsung screen that we can get working per Macbook, is there a way to slightly adjust the screen 'zoom' level? It either seems to be impossibly high res settings where you need a telescope to see the screen, or it's the exact opposite and as though it's for the visually impaired.

If someone would mind telling me exactly what size dunces hat I need to order (and how to fix the issues!) I'd be very grateful. TIA!!

Jamie

Posted on May 22, 2024 3:11 AM

There are no replies.

MBP (2023) to 2 x external Samsung 24" monitors via USB-C/Thunderbolt...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.