Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Event triggered automation only on weekdays

I am looking for the way to set up an event triggered automation in Apple Home valid only on weekdays. Example: Trigger is when air humidity goes beyond 60%, I would like to turn on the AC Dry function, BUT only on weekdays, between 9.30-16.00.

I can set up the event triggered automation, and I can limit the timespan, but I could not find a way to limit the automation to weekdays only. Automation can be set to run on specific time of any selected days of the week, but I guess that is a one time run of the automation at that specific time of the day, but not an event checked continuously on weekdays.

Could anyone kindly help to direct me to the right set up method?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on May 22, 2024 3:07 AM

2 replies

May 22, 2024 7:01 AM in response to ZKevi

Hi ZKevi,

The trigger would have to be of type “A Sensor Detects Something” so that the humidity sensor triggers the home automation. Then you can set a time range when the automation can be executed:

In the next screen of the automation, tap “Convert to Shortcut.” There you’ll be able to add logic to check for the day of the week, using the “Date” and “Format Date” actions. In the “Format Date” action, choose a custom format and set it to “EEE” which will format it as “Mon”, “Tue”…

Then use an “If” action to test for the weekday. I would suggest doing a “reverse” test, meaning that the shortcut stops if the day is Saturday and stops if the day is Sunday;

Then any action that you use after this will be executed for any other day of the week.

May 22, 2024 11:03 AM in response to 6x6

Hi 6x6,

Thank you for timely reply, I think it was the 'Convert to Shortcut' piece I was missing from all blogs until now. :)

So I could set up an automation starting with a when trigger (When humidity rises above 60%, between 9-17), the I actually selected a scene I prepared earlier (turn on AC dry mode), so my Shortcut starts with 'Set Turn on AC Dry', then there is the Format line changing Current Date format to EEE, then the 2 If statements as you described. Will test how and if that works.

Thank you kindly once again for sharing the trick! :)

Take care,

ZKevi

Event triggered automation only on weekdays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.