Bootcamp failure at partition creation, can't delete it, how to start over?

Hello

Attempting to Bootcamp a '19 MacBook Pro.

At partition creation, Bootcamp failed and returned a message that I needed to run Diskutil repair on the SSD. I did that on all partitions.

On reattempting to run Bootcamp I'm given the "Unable to read the Windows partition

Boot Camp Assistant was unable to verify if the Windows partition contains a Windows installation. This may be because BitLocker is enabled on the partition. If so, disable BitLocker on the disk before removing Boot Camp." error.

That makes sense as the creation failed and Windows was not installed.

However the visual Diskutil app does not show the Windows partition(s).

They are however listed as unmounted on the command line 'diskutil list'. (Output below, items 3 and 4 of disk0).

Can someone advise how I delete them and start over please?

Thank you.

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         1.9 TB     disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         10.0 GB    disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data                         140.8 GB   disk0s4

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1.9 TB     disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            10.3 GB    disk1s1
   2:              APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 10.3 GB    disk1s1s1
   3:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data     1.3 TB     disk1s2
   4:                APFS Volume Preboot                 2.2 GB     disk1s3
   5:                APFS Volume Recovery                1.2 GB     disk1s4
   6:                APFS Volume VM                      24.6 KB    disk1s5

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 22, 2024 4:55 AM

3 replies

May 24, 2024 7:32 PM in response to user1247

If Bootcamp Assistant is unable to remove Windows, then you can try using Disk Utility to delete the two Windows partitions shown in your screenshots (disk0s3 & disk0s4). Make sure to delete "disk0s4" first, then "disk0s3". Unfortunately many times Disk Utility will not re-merge the space used back into the main macOS Container (aka partition) in this case "disk0s2". It may be possible to use the command line "diskutil" command to merge that space back into the "disk0s2" Container, but I don't have the time or a spare drive to experiment. I do know there is at least one thread on the Apple forums from a few years ago where I assisted another user with this issue, but the user had to modify my two suggestions before it actually worked. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact options to use with the command.

Otherwise you may find it quicker & easier to start completely over by performing a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup. Then attempt to use Bootcamp Assistant to install Windows again.

No matter what you do, make sure you have a good backup of macOS now while you still can since modifying partitions is always a risky endeavor that could cause you to lose access to your data.

Bootcamp failure at partition creation, can't delete it, how to start over?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.