Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Finding defunct 3rd party plugins in an FCPX project?

90 minute film. Needing to remaster with a few changes. Find that I originally used a 3rd party stabilizer plug-in on a lot of the clips - (the plug-in now 2 iterations later and requiring that I replace it with the new version). FCPX's stabilizer has improved enormously, I just want to delete the 3rd party plug-ins. I know I can scroll and locate the red frame with exclamation mark (and delete it). But that's pretty tedious. I've already done that on a 50 minute version of the film. And afterwards I notice that there may be one or a few I missed ... (somewhere on the timeline). That's an awful lot of scrolling.

Is there any way I can generate some some sort of list where I can locate these errant plug-ins at a glance?

I know I could 'Remove Attributes' with a single click for the entire film -- but I need to replace the specific stabilizing plug-in with FCPX's stabilizer. And I need to see where the defunct plug-ins are placed.

Any suggestions?

Ben

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on May 22, 2024 7:52 AM

4 replies

May 22, 2024 8:34 AM in response to Ben Low

What Tom said should be the fastest and safest way to do it.

Then in the Inspector just delete the effect.

If, for some reason, this does not work, an alternative is to export xml of the project, and then use a text editor like TextMate or BBEdit. Be careful, though. It is easy to render an xml invalid. However, it is relatively simple to do if you know what to search for.

You can do a global find and replace. If you need to pursue this, let me know.

May 22, 2024 4:30 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you Luis,

I think the way Tom suggested is perfect for my situation ... I have to find and then 'replace' the stabilizer ... and then check that the auto stabilization actually worked.

This also helped me identify a bunch of Neat Video noise reduction clips ... that 'seemed' to be working (no red box) but were obviously an earlier version of Neat. So I have to redo those clips with the latest version. Which I have.

Your suggestion sounds wonderfully exotic. AND ... you once helped me enormously, showing me how to work directly with the XML ... to rescue a whole bunch of scenes from an older film that had never been released (not yet) and needed some serious upgrading to be further editable.

Finding defunct 3rd party plugins in an FCPX project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.