Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I changed admin name and did not change home directory. Mac not working properly anymore.

I changed my admin name without reading the instructions and left home directory unchanged and now my mac is not working properly.

i tried to start it in safe mode but when I follow the instructions using the rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone command it says “no such file or directory”

when I try mounting first using /sbin/mount -uw / it says volume could not be mounted: permission denied

mount: /failed with 66

please help!

im on mac monterey 12.6 intel based.

Posted on May 22, 2024 10:41 AM

4 replies

May 23, 2024 7:49 AM in response to Skicotter

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Excerpt " You can change the name of your user account only while logged in to a different account, which must be an administrator account. If your Mac isn't set up with another administrator account, you must first add an administrator account in Users & Groups settings: "

Sorry but you have to Start Over

I changed admin name and did not change home directory. Mac not working properly anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.