Ipad Air battery charging

I was wondering if it is okay to charge your iPad from 20-100% all the time, and sometimes from 30/20% to 96% higher or lower but not to 100% is that fine? How do I optimize a healthy cycle? Since I don't know my iPad's "battery health" thanks in advance

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 22, 2024 10:48 AM

3 replies

May 22, 2024 10:52 AM in response to selma36

iPad batteries are quoted as being expected to retain 80% of their original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles, a full cycle being any combination of charging that equates to 100% (e.g., 20-90% = 70% plus 50-100% = 50% plus 20%-100% = 80%, taken together this equates to 2 full charging cycles). Every cycle reduces the overall capacity just a little, but this reduction over time results in lower capacity.

Apple offers this advice for optimally maintaining your iPad battery:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

May 22, 2024 11:08 AM in response to selma36

You're very welcome.

Unlike older battery chemistries that benefited from full discharge, Li-ion batteries can be charged whenever convenient, or partially if necessary, without detriment to performance.

Perhaps avoid unnecessary complete discharge of a Li-ion battery as this can be detrimental to longevity. Never allow a fully discharged Li-ion battery to remain in this state - as this may lead to deep discharge, a condition from which the battery may never recover and the battery will fail.

While regular charging to 100% capacity is not an issue, permanently keeping a Li-ion battery at full charge can lead to premature chemical aging. For this reason, your iPad may temporarily modify its charging strategy when connected to its Power Adapter for an extended period (i.e., many days) - and may automatically limit charging to ~80% of maximum. Restoring a more normal charge/discharge regime will restore charging to 100% capacity.

Ipad Air battery charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.