HomePod minis fail to peer-to-peer on my Nokia 5G 21 gateway with T Mobile 5G wifi.

All 6 HomePod minis fail to peer-to-peer on my Nokia 5G 21 gateway with T Mobile 5G wifi. Neither T Mobile nor Apple has been able to help. Anyone run into this issue and found a solution? I’ve spent a couple weeks resetting everything up, from scratch, even acquiring a replacement gateway. The HomePod minis connect to the network and work individually, they simply no longer Peer-to-Peer and therefore cannot work together. They had been working together for a few months and have stopped. If anyone has had this issue and found a solution please let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on May 22, 2024 11:30 AM

2 replies

May 23, 2024 4:19 PM in response to socraties

Possibly Resolved.

1) I was told that my carrier does not support Peer-to-Peer and I was lucky that it had worked at all before.

2) I was also told the service is plug and play and there is no support to customize the router settings. There are very few router settings I have access to via the interface.

3) I was told I could plug my router into the gateway as a possible solution but there is no way to turn the gateway into a bridge or bridge mode.

Possible Solution:

1) Plugging a router into the gateway didn’t work. Wi-Fi was extremely slow.

2) for some reason, when I disconnected my router, the HomePod Mini speakers started to communicate with each other on the secondary WPA2 / 2.5 gig network I had set up the day before. Note, I had to use my iPhone to manually switch the HomePod speakers to the 2 gig network.

3) If it falls apart again due to lack of support for peer-to-peer, then I’ll have to give up on the 5G Home Internet and switch to another provider.

I hope this helps somebody!

Jun 3, 2024 4:08 PM in response to socraties

More info:

First of all, let me correct my typing above. It’s a 2.4 Ghz network I was referring too, but I assume most people realized that.

The HomePod minis have stayed connected to the wifi, the internet, and have been able to synchronize music between themselves over the last week. After a couple of hiccups (e.g., loss of synchronization and the verbal message « I’m sorry, Russ, I can’t find the Den Speaker » when I asked Siri on the HomePod Mini to add the speaker to the music stream) I realized that I had used the Home App on my iPod to control the speakers immediately prior. Let me say, the music was not coming from my iPad Apple Music app. It was coming from the speakers connection to Apple Music. That being said, it seems to me that two possible issues may arise from my situation.

1. Alternating access to the HomePod minis between the iPhone Home App and the iPad Home app. All devices are logged onto my Apple account but perhaps the speakers don’t like to be volleyed back and forth between devices.
  2. My iPhone and iPad tend to be (of course) logged onto the 5 Ghz side of my network while the HomePod minis always remain logged onto the 2.4 Ghz network.

I don’t know how the Home app talks to the HomePod minis from the iPhone or the iPad so can’t make guesses there. The Home app can also control speakers from the cellular data connection with my iPhone wifi turned off. The iPad is not cellular so it always communicates with the HomePod minis via my home wifi.

Not sure if anyone reads this, but it’s information that may be useful to someone. I share in that spirit.

HomePod minis fail to peer-to-peer on my Nokia 5G 21 gateway with T Mobile 5G wifi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.