Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Recovery mode, restoring from Time Machine - hangs up at "restore from" selection

I have a 2018 MBP running MacOS 14.5. I need to do a restore from my last full Time Machine backup (long story). I want to restore from a Time Machine backup that's on an external HDD. The drive is connected directly to the Mac - meaning there's no USB hub or anything in the middle. The drive has a USB 2 connector, and I'm using a cable that converts from USB 2 to C, although I doubt that makes any difference.

I got the computer restarted in Recovery Mode, and it was able to find the Time Machine disk. The next screen that appears says "Select A Backup" and has a drop down where I think it will show my full backups. Problem is, when it hits that screen the machine just goes out to lunch and doesn't come back. I get the "spinning beach ball" effect, and it won't stop (or give me a backup to restore from). I've tried shutting down the machine and restarting again in recovery mode, no difference. I've also let it just spin to see if it ever comes back...I've been waiting an hour or more, and still getting the spinning beach ball.

Parallels, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 22, 2024 1:30 PM

1 reply

May 22, 2024 5:47 PM in response to jtj3

jtj3 wrote:

I have a 2018 MBP running MacOS 14.5. I need to do a restore from my last full Time Machine backup (long story). I want to restore from a Time Machine backup that's on an external HDD. The drive is connected directly to the Mac - meaning there's no USB hub or anything in the middle. The drive has a USB 2 connector, and I'm using a cable that converts from USB 2 to C, although I doubt that makes any difference.

I got the computer restarted in Recovery Mode, and it was able to find the Time Machine disk. The next screen that appears says "Select A Backup" and has a drop down where I think it will show my full backups. Problem is, when it hits that screen the machine just goes out to lunch and doesn't come back. I get the "spinning beach ball" effect, and it won't stop (or give me a backup to restore from). I've tried shutting down the machine and restarting again in recovery mode, no difference. I've also let it just spin to see if it ever comes back...I've been waiting an hour or more, and still getting the spinning beach ball.

Is there a macOS installed from Recovery?

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Time Machine can restore your user data.

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Recovery mode, restoring from Time Machine - hangs up at "restore from" selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.