Router Recommendation

My Airport Extreme finally needs to be replaced. Can I get some recommendations for a new router? I have my iMac on a direct ethernet connection and all other devices in 5-person household connect via WiFi. Modem is a Motorola MB7621. Security cameras need to be on 2.4 GHz and everything else is on 5.0, and want to continue to have a guest network. I know whatever I replace this with probably won't be as easy to work with as the AE. Got great advice here when I needed the new modem. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on May 22, 2024 1:35 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2024 2:53 PM in response to DocMom2Four

In addition to Wirecutter, I would also suggest trying SmallNetBuilder for router recommendations.

In my experience with a number of brands, I find those from either Asus or Synology to be both full-featured and both offer easy set up.

Although you mention a 5-person household, you don't mention your wireless coverage goals. If your current home is in the 2500' or smaller range, you may find that only a single wireless router can provide sufficient coverage (unless you have old-fashioned brick & mortar or concrete walls). For home > 2500' to have full coverage everywhere, you may want to consider a wireless mesh type network.

Regardless, the more we know about your networking goals, the better we can try to assist you with networking hardware purchasing options.

For example:

• Do you want Wi-Fi coverage to extend to your backyard?
  • Do you have a need to stream HD video to multiple locations in the home?
  • You mention security cameras, but what about other IoT gear?
  • Do you want to use separate virtual networks to isolate between things like IoT devices and your home computers?
  • Will you be wanting to connect some devices by Ethernet? If so, is your home currently wired for Ethernet? ... or, if not, willing to have an Electrician add the necessary Ethernet cable runs?
  • Do you network security concerns?
  • You didn't mention a price ceiling? That is, do you have an estimate on how much you are willing to spend in total for this venture?

As you can see, answers to these questions may not have been something you have already thought about ... just want to make sure you get your requirements in.

May 22, 2024 5:37 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you -- I'll check out SmallNetBuilder. Answers to your questions:

• No to backyard, streaming multi HD video, other IoT gear, separate VNs

• Only need the single Ethernet connection for my iMac

• Would be nice to have the ability to add an extender (as could be done with a two Synology WRX560's) but no need right now; current router provides suitable coverage everywhere except one part of the basement

• Just your typical security concerns

• Expect to spend in the $200 - $300 range but no set ceiling

I'm the person who troubleshoots 5-6 other family members' devices (those still at home, and still helping the one who's on his own). I'd like something that makes that job as easy as possible.

I typically read all the 1 star device reviews first. Both the Synology and TP Link Archer routers recommended by Wirecutter had some 1 and 2 star reviews that gave me pause. I imagine there is no perfect router but want to keep my headaches to a minimum.

May 22, 2024 5:52 PM in response to DocMom2Four

As you may already be aware, Synology has been in the NAS market for years, and got involved with networking hardware more recently. If you are at all familiar with their NAS, they have an incredibly powerful, but easy to use operating system, called DSM. Similarly, they incorporated some of that same technology with their SRM operating system with their routers. The Synology WRX560 would be a great choice!

... but certainly do your research. FWIW, when I eventually retired my Apple networking hardware, I replaced it with that from the Ubiquiti UniFi line. Definitely a more pro-sumer/business grade system, but with all the added functionality, I never had any regrets doing so. However, my networking goals may be far greater than most folks. You can check them out with the link I provided you, but I believe you will be much happier with the Synology product.

Router Recommendation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.