Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Cant import in Photos now after OS UPDATE

there is a error attempting to free up disk space for import into Photos

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 22, 2024 2:11 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2024 8:17 AM in response to KiwiKen24

I can't tell what question you might be asking, so I'll just throw some stuff out:

You say your are using macOS 12.12 Sierra on your iMac, is that true?

Apple recommends that you keep at least 10% or your hard drive space free. I try to use less than 85% of mine. How does your hard drive look? Have you tried to free up space? What happens then?

Where is your Photos Library located? Is it in your Pictures folder? Are you using iCloud Photos to synchronize pictures on your devices? In Photos>Settings>iCloud, do you have "Download Originals" checked, or is it "Optimize Storage?"

Let us know what's goin on and what you want to know, so we can help...

May 23, 2024 3:43 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Ive just updated to Mac OS Sonoma 14.5 okay so I use an external drive for my Photos so after ive processed my photos in Lightroom Classic I import them to desktop.From desktop folder i can normally click & drag into photos but now an error comes up: There is a error attempting to free up disk space for import ????

My external drive still has 5.2 TB left okay.

In Photos settings I cant click on the icloud photos it comes with this iCloud Photos is only available on macOS Standard, macOS Extended and APFS formatted volumes.

To check the format of a volume, select the volume that your photo library resides on in the Finder and choose Get Info from the File menu. The type of volume appears in the Format field.

May 24, 2024 6:29 AM in response to KiwiKen24

First, what I said about having more than 10% free space applies to your internal drive on you Mac. The Mac uses the drive to swap information around, and it needs that space. It's not about the external drive.

So it sounds like your external drive is not formatted properly. Did you do what it said and check the format of the drive? Often, external drives come formatted in ExFat format which is not compatible with Mac Photos. Sometimes it will try to work, but then corrupt the Photos Library, so newer OSs now check for that. As long as the Photos Library is on an improperly formatted drive, Photos will not work.

Use the app "Disk Utility" to help you out. You may be able to partition your drive so that half of it is formatted in APFS, and then you can copy the Library there.

Let us know....

Cant import in Photos now after OS UPDATE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.