Apple air tag inside luggage overseas

Wondering if I can put an air tag inside my luggage to travel overseas, it is a lithium battery, and we will be separated for 15 hours.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on May 22, 2024 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2024 3:06 PM

Yes, you can certainly place an Apple AirTag inside your luggage. A lot of folks do so to keep tabs of their luggage's location ... but, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

• AirTags are not designed for tracking. Instead, they are primarily designed for locating a "missing" item.
  • Since the AirTag does not incorporate GPS technology, it relies on Bluetooth and the Apple "Find My Network" (think of the latter as being a form of crowd-sourcing), location updates may not always be available, nor accurate.
  • Apple claims that if the AirTag, that is associated with an iPhone, is separated after a certain length of time (8-24 hrs), it could start beeping. There's really no way to disable this, without taking out its battery ... which, of course, would pretty much render it useless.
  • With the tag inside your luggage, and inside the cargo hold, the chance that its Bluetooth beacon can be "heard" by a nearby iPhone, is not very likely. Probably not an issue, if you are on the same flight as your luggage.
  • For "precision finding" you would need to have, at least, an iPhone 11 or newer model. This is only useful if you are near your tagged luggage ... but some folks use this feature when luggage is being unloaded to quickly find theirs.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2024 3:06 PM in response to Wyldwyryr

Yes, you can certainly place an Apple AirTag inside your luggage. A lot of folks do so to keep tabs of their luggage's location ... but, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

• AirTags are not designed for tracking. Instead, they are primarily designed for locating a "missing" item.
  • Since the AirTag does not incorporate GPS technology, it relies on Bluetooth and the Apple "Find My Network" (think of the latter as being a form of crowd-sourcing), location updates may not always be available, nor accurate.
  • Apple claims that if the AirTag, that is associated with an iPhone, is separated after a certain length of time (8-24 hrs), it could start beeping. There's really no way to disable this, without taking out its battery ... which, of course, would pretty much render it useless.
  • With the tag inside your luggage, and inside the cargo hold, the chance that its Bluetooth beacon can be "heard" by a nearby iPhone, is not very likely. Probably not an issue, if you are on the same flight as your luggage.
  • For "precision finding" you would need to have, at least, an iPhone 11 or newer model. This is only useful if you are near your tagged luggage ... but some folks use this feature when luggage is being unloaded to quickly find theirs.

May 23, 2024 6:52 AM in response to Wyldwyryr

Pragmatically:

I travel internationally w/ AirTags in ALL checked bags w/o issue.

MANY others do as well.

The “unaccompanied beeping” feature is so subtle it can barely be heard even if there

isn’t any background noise.

Airport security screeners are focused on finding far more sinister materials than “gram-quantities” of Li in AirTags. Plus they undoubtedly already recognise the AirTag’s “signature.”

Lastly: Pack your AirTag so a screener can easily find it. Usually for me this means an “outside” - or readily-accessible “inside” - zippered pocket … which also aids the AirTag’s signal detectability as well.

= = = =

I DEF like the “Warm and Fuzzy” I get during a tight connection by ”geo-locating” my checked-bags on the ramp outside my connecting / outbound aircraft.

May 22, 2024 4:13 PM in response to Wyldwyryr

Here’s a fairly well-written, albeit US-centric article on the matter.

Obviously other governments - or even individual airlines - could impose more restrictive rules.

Their will to do-so is doubtful.

https://screenrant.com/put-airtag-in-luggage-official-rules/

I DO remember Lufthansa publicly trying to restrict AirTag usage early-on based on the “No Lithium Battery” rules … but they quickly reversed their position

May 22, 2024 7:05 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Thank you - yes, it was the lithium-ness of the AirTag I was concerned about. Also if it started beeping ... I have a longgggg trip ahead. Thank you so kindly for your reply, and for the link. This is the clincher, how one would even go about this (it's not on the airlines' pages) ... "To be sure that an AirTag can be packed in luggage on a flight, check with the government agencies of the countries or regions that are being

traveled to or from."

Apple air tag inside luggage overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.