Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Change photo file ending

I have heard you should convert all your photos from .heic to jpg (jep) so they are compatible with others. How do you do this. I always update Mac to latest software version. Also, when you import a jep from email it is converted to .heic This is not helpful.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 22, 2024 7:01 PM

2 replies

May 22, 2024 10:45 PM in response to janefromalexandria

I have heard you should convert all your photos from .heic to jpg (jep) so they are compatible with others.

I'd convert individual .heic to .jpg only if some site insists accepting only .jpg.

You can set your iPhone to shoot only .jpg if that is a repeating issue for you. Or convert old shots via Photos > File > Export as .jpg (.jpeg).

May 23, 2024 7:22 AM in response to janefromalexandria

The HE in HEIC is "High Efficiency." These files are compressed more cleverly than jpg, so they take up less space for the same quality. More and more systems are using it, but the acceptance in older systems may be limited. But for you HEIC is a great format. As Matti Haveri says, only convert for formats when you need to send pictures to people with systems that don't keep up.

Change photo file ending

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.