Does Apple Card charge a currency exchange fee when used overseas ?

Hi, I called 1-877-255-5923; but because I don't have an Apple Card yet, I could not go any further and talk to a representative.

Currently I live in France and plan to return in early 2025. But before that, I would like to begin to use an Apple Card in France and earn points.

I wonder if any Apple Card user can be so kind, send a message and ask the following 2 questions for me........

1) does Apple Card charge a fee for purchases in a foreign currency when used overseas ??

( PayPal MasterCard charges 3%~yuk )

2) does Goldman Sachs accept a French phone number to register for a new Apple Card ??

3) will Goldman Sachs ship a new Apple Card to France ?

Thank you in advance ! =)

iPhone 12

Posted on May 22, 2024 9:01 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2024 4:52 AM in response to applerock9999

Apple Card is only issued to US residents. The card will not be shipped to France. Only US residents and addresses are permitted. Your phone number will not be accepted.

Apple Card does not charge a foreign transaction fee. However, Mastercard will charge a foreign exchange fee for all transactions not conducted in US dollars.

>>See if you're eligible

• To be eligible to apply for Apple Card, you must be 18 years old or older, depending on where you live.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful resident with a valid, physical U.S. address that's not a P.O. Box. You can also use a military address.
  • Your device must be compatible with Apple Pay. See which devices are compatible with Apple Pay. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS, watchOS, or macOS.
  • You must sign in on your device with your Apple ID and use two-factor authentication.
  • If you have a freeze on your credit report, you need to temporarily lift the freeze to apply for Apple Card. Learn how to lift your credit freeze.
  • You might need to verify your identity with a Driver License or State-issued photo ID.<<

How to apply for Apple Card - Apple Support

May 23, 2024 3:06 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Hi, thank you so much for info !

1) I'm a US citizen; but currently I live in France and hence only have a French phone number. I still won't be able to apply for the Apple Card !?

2) is the foreign exchange fee included in the sales price, or added to the sales price ??

( PayPal Mastercard charges an additional 3% fee if the sale price is not in USD ) Thank you again !

May 23, 2024 5:23 PM in response to applerock9999

The fee is adjusted to the exchange rate at the time of settlement. Settlement is when the merchant’s credit card processor (gateway) presents the charge to the Payment Network Operator (PNO — Mastercard, Visa etc.) for payment. The PNO will use the days conversion rate and add a convenience fee.

If the charge is in US dollars, there is no additional fee charged by Mastercard or Goldman Sachs.

The additional fee PayPal has been charging is the foreign transaction fee. That is in addition to the foreign conversion fee the PNO charges.

You’ll need a valid US address and the address needs to match your shipping address for delivery of the card and also match the address of your Apple ID.

Does Apple Card charge a currency exchange fee when used overseas ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.