Logic Pro Template vs Empty Project File With Pre-assigned “Everything”

if I take a working project file, strip out the audio and MIDI data, but keep all the empty tracks, assigned instruments, effects, buss assignments, tempo, etc, and save it as a project file named My Favorite Template, what makes it different from an actual template?

I’ve done it this way for years. Am I missing something that templates provide?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 22, 2024 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2024 2:37 AM

I hope I understood you correctly...

Two advantages that I wouldn't want to miss:

When saving a Project as Template, you can access the project from New from Template menu, that means you can open it easily with CMD+N. A template is always opened as Untitled so that it cannot be accidentally overwritten or changed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2024 2:37 AM in response to AmericanBadger

I hope I understood you correctly...

Two advantages that I wouldn't want to miss:

When saving a Project as Template, you can access the project from New from Template menu, that means you can open it easily with CMD+N. A template is always opened as Untitled so that it cannot be accidentally overwritten or changed.

May 23, 2024 4:16 PM in response to AmericanBadger

A template is just like any other Logic project, except for the differences mentioned above. Every project setting, every window setting, channel strip, bus, plugin (...) is captured when it is saved as a template.

Just try, delete the Undo History and save your custom "My Favorite Template"-Project as a template. Then close the project and open it with New From Template or CMD+N. If you are using templates for the first time, you can find your own templates under “My Templates”.

The default location on your computer is ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Project Templates/

May 23, 2024 4:34 PM in response to yoyoBen

What’s disappointing is that there is nowhere in the manual where I’ve been able to find this simple explanation. It could, and should, make it clear that other than the 2 differences you’ve pointed out, saving a project is essentially the same thing. That would have saved me a couple of hours of research.

Many thanks to you for your explanation and help. I’ll go try it out 👍 ☮️

Logic Pro Template vs Empty Project File With Pre-assigned “Everything”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.