Clarification Needed on Reporting Criminal Activity and Required Documentation for App Review

Hi everyone,

I recently received feedback from Apple regarding my app's functionality related to reporting criminal activity. The review team has asked for additional information to ensure compliance with their guidelines. Here are the details from their response:

Review Environment

Guideline 2.1 - Information Needed
"We noticed that your app allows users to report criminal activity, but we need additional information before continuing our review.

Specifically, it is unclear if you have partnered with local law enforcement to respond to the reports of alleged criminal activity.

To provide users a safe and reliable experience, apps may only be used to report criminal activity in locations where you have the active involvement of local law enforcement."

Next Steps
"To ensure that your app is partnering with the appropriate institutions, you must provide documentation or evidence of your relationship with local law enforcement wherever your app is distributed. Please attach the documentation in the App Review Information section of App Store Connect."

My Questions:

What specific functionalities in an app are considered as "reporting criminal activity"? My App detects the user's location to provide a list of nearby police, ambulances, etc to use for emergency purposes. I need to understand if all such functionalities fall under this category or if there are specific criteria Apple uses to define this.

What exactly should the documentation to show the partnership with local law enforcement include? Does Apple require formal agreements, letters of partnership, or any other specific type of document? Additionally, are there any examples or templates available that demonstrate the type of documentation Apple expects?

Any guidance or examples from those who have successfully navigated this requirement would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mac Studio

Posted on May 22, 2024 9:50 PM

1 reply

Clarification Needed on Reporting Criminal Activity and Required Documentation for App Review

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.