Note: You can’t apply a paragraph style or character style to text in a table cell.“

Geez, really! Why not?

I am missing something. Is there an alternative?

Posted on May 23, 2024 3:26 AM

4 replies

May 23, 2024 1:20 PM in response to JabbaThePizza

The subject is a quote from Apples help pages.

I am using Pages on iPadOS.

Highlighting text in a table cell and opening Paintbrush, Cell does not display Paragraph Style and only None as Character Style. This is confirmed by the Apple Support quote.

But why? I can change the format to what I want but why can’t I use a defined character style?

May 23, 2024 3:29 PM in response to JabbaThePizza

Sorry, I was using Pages for Mac and you didn't originally state the platform in use.

These are fellow user-supported public communities where neither Apple nor Apple product teams participate. As we have no divine access to the implementation decisions made by the Pages product teams, we simply cannot speculate about why questions, or potential discontinuity between documentation and reality.

May 24, 2024 8:24 AM in response to VikingOSX

Sorry about the lack of platform information.

It was just a frustrated silent scream as I am trying to move from MSOffice dependence to Apple. There’s a lot about Pages that I like, although there’s quite a bit of functionality missing from MS Word, most of which I can live with, and a quite different way of working with the app.

I have a character style, Keyword, which is used to highlight to the reader that the word will be defined in the Glossary. So in the narrative this is easy to use (although it did take me a while to find out how to define Character Styles). In a table, I would have to change the style manually for each keyword. If I don’t like the look of the results, easy to change it throughout all of the text…except where it might be used in tables. The document I am working on currently is nearing 100 pages with lots of tables. So, important to get the look right before changing the table styles, I suppose.

Word has find and replace for format as well, which would help.

I was just wondering if anyone had ideas how to workaround this missing feature.

Thanks for your time, by the way.

Note: You can’t apply a paragraph style or character style to text in a table cell.“

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.