Scammed by a fake free trial & ineligible for a refund

I downloaded a popular party game app that showed a banner offering a free trial where you’d be charged after a few days. I signed up for the free trial, but I was immediately charged 9.99. I cancelled the subscription and reported the purchase as a scam but it says the payment is ineligible for refund. Can I get a refund?

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on May 23, 2024 4:43 AM

7 replies

May 23, 2024 8:12 AM in response to da128a

da128a wrote:

It is an Apple bill that looks just like my iCloud subscription bills (written out as APPLE.COM/BILL 05/21 etc.) I went to Apple support and couldn’t find any helpful info, so I came here.

If you are unable to identify the charge using this link, then it is suggested to contact Apple directly. The link is provided on the bottom of this Support page:

If you see 'apple.com/bill' on your billing statement - Apple Support

There are scams where you may see an Apple charge that is the result of your card being compromised and the scammers use a fake description to throw you off.

https://toughnickel.com/scams-fraud/Apple-iTunes-866-712-7753-Scam

Contacting Apple directly is the best way to proceed as they are the only ones that have access to your account to determine if the charges are legitimate.

May 23, 2024 7:22 AM in response to da128a

da128a wrote:

On the “Request a refund” page, the purchase doesn’t show on the list of items from my purchase history.

Then most likely the banner that you clicked directed you to their website to sign up there. This will bypass Apple's own payment processing, since it was not from an in-app purchase, and the company will bill you directly. There are apps that prefer you use their own payment processing for a couple of reasons, Netflix and YouTube are 2 other examples:

• Avoids any payment processing fees by Apple
  • Avoids being able to easily cancel the subscription using the process Apple provides

Whenever you sign up for a service on any website, you will need to cancel that service through the website and there are only 2 options to get a refund:

• Go to support on the site and request a refund through them.
  • Dispute the charge on your credit card

Scammed by a fake free trial & ineligible for a refund

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.