iPad Air turns back ON after shutdown.

I have an iPad Air 5th Gen with iPadOS 17.5.1. When shutting down for the night I first plug in the charge cable and then shutdown the iPad. It goes through its shutdown sequence and then after a few moments it goes through it’s startup sequence and turns back on.

I read in a post about the Lock/Unlock setting so I checked and it is OFF and Auto-Lock is set for 2 mins.

Any ideas?

TIA

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 23, 2024 6:06 AM

4 replies

May 23, 2024 6:20 AM in response to ApexMan

As you may be aware, by design, an iPad will automatically restart from a shut-down state when connected to a source of external power. If the iPad is shut-down while charging, it should remain shut-down while it remains connected to a continuous/uninterrupted source of external power.

As described, the observed behaviour might suggest:

• the Power Adapter may have a fault.
  • the charging cable may have a fault, or be making poor connection to either the Power Adapter or connected iPad.
  • AC-mains power has been interrupted or is unreliable.

Diagnosis of potential cause would normally require systematic substitution of the Power Adapter and Power cable. Also consider using a different AC power-outlet.

May 23, 2024 6:55 AM in response to ApexMan

First, Thank you for your reply.

I have been using an AT&T 6’ USB A - USB C charging cable to charge the iPad. As a test I used the USB C cable and charger that came with my iPhone 15 Pro, after shutting down it stayed off. The funny part about this is when I use the AT&T cable with my iPhone and shut it down it stays off. It definitely has something to do the iPad.

Jun 11, 2024 2:33 PM in response to LotusPilot

The same thing happens to me, too. iPad Pro 4th Gen, less than a year old. Only happened after upgrade to iOS 17.5.1. Previously I could (and almost always did) shut it down completely at night while plugged in, in ordder to get a clean cold boot-up in the morning.. Cables and eternal power as the cause is highly unlikely, due to extreme repeatability of the new behavior (>20 times with no variation). My guess is that Apple has decided that it wants this behavior. Is is perhaps due to lack of full control over Li-ion battery charging when in nominal power-off mode?

iPad Air turns back ON after shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.