Free Apple TV Subscription not working

Back in February I set up a new account so I could use a 5-month free TV subscription voucher. It was all set up ok but then I didn't use the account for a few weeks.

When I went to use it recently my id had been deactivated. After a couple of days and two calls to support it was reactivated ok and I can now log in to the account however despite the subscription showing in my purchases, when I log into the TV app on my Mac it's behaving as though I don't have a subscription, only allowing access to trailers and free episodes and saying I need to subscribe.

I tried calling support again and was advised to log out, restart my computer and log back in again. If that didn't fix it to look for the option to restore purchases in the settings, but that's only for content purchases not subscriptions.

How do I get it to recognise my subscription?

Info: On a Mac Mini running Big Sur 11.6.7. TV App Version 1.1.6.37. The device is authorised.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 23, 2024 7:01 AM

1 reply

May 25, 2024 6:07 AM in response to Khellendrosskye

First of all you need to understand that your Apple TV+ subscription only applies to original, Apple produced content. Other content is available for purchase or rental. For example, if you search for Dune Part 2 you only have the option to purchase or rent since Dine Part 2 was not produced by Apple. You would need a subscription to another streaming service that has the right to show that movie, like HBO/Max.

Free Apple TV Subscription not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.