Printing problems on HP Envy 5646 since iOS 17.5

Any thoughts on why I am having problems printing on my HP Envy 5646. It was good until about 4 or 5weeks ago. Both my iPad (9th Gen 256GB) and iPhone (SE 128GB) are on iOS 17.5.1 and have the same issue. When I AirPrint a 2 page document a dialogue box comes up stating “HP Envy 5640 Series, The printer is no longer available “. On completion the first page is perfect but the second page is half blank, or printed with colour, or a mixture of colours. If I print the same document from my laptop (Windows 10) it works fine. If I try to print from my wife’s iPad 7th Gen, iOS 17.4.1, it works fine. I have tried rebooting, changing the printer driver, checking my settings against my wife’s iPad without success. Could the problem lie with the new iOS? Any advice would be appreciated.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 23, 2024 7:35 AM

3 replies

Jun 10, 2024 4:49 AM in response to Spikyface

Have you ensured that your Printer has been updated to the most recent version of its firmware? The HP Support Website indicates that 003.2220B was the last release (2022).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-envy-photo-7100-all-in-one-printer-series/9073119

Be aware that your Windows PC will not be using AirPrint - but will instead be using different print-protocols to communicate with your Printer.

Some older printers are using a now deprecated version of AirPrint; recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are unable to communicate using earlier versions of AirPrint.

If your Printer's firmware is the issues - and cannot be updated - you may still be able to print from your Apple devices...

Some printer manufacturers have a suitable companion App that provides Print capabilities for mobile devices, often using a web-based print service. Others can print directly if the App supports other network printing protocols. By example, some HP Printers use the HP Smart App - available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hp-smart/id469284907

You might also consider connecting a non-AirPrint printer to a Windows PC or Mac computer - and install a “helper application” that allows the computer to emulate AirPrint capabilities.

Jun 9, 2024 2:06 PM in response to DV-UK

I’m having exactly the same issue. IOS 17.5.1 broke something in my HP 7100 series printer.

my old iOS 16 iPhone 11 Pro Max with the last version of IOS 16 still prints fine.

why has Apple not addressed this and yeah printing more than a page fails during the second or third page with the same error and everything.

could it be some security glitch or do I need another printer perhaps.

if you found a solution please respond

Printing problems on HP Envy 5646 since iOS 17.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.