A screen icon with an exclamation mark appears on upper right corner of my iPad's screen

In the upper left corner where the charge is shown, the screen icon and an exclamation mark are lit. I can't change the brightness

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on May 23, 2024 7:45 AM

4 replies

May 23, 2024 9:18 AM in response to GoodyaN

Cropped and rotated, with a display icon with a yellow warning ⚠️ triangle being shown in the upper right of the iPad Pro 12.9“ 5th or 6th gen display:

The Liquid Retina XDR display is limiting its brightness, or may have a hardware issue:

If the brightness is limited on your MacBook Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display or Apple Pro Display XDR - Apple Support

Yeah, that article doesn’t list iPad Pro, but it’s the same warning ⚠️ icon for the same display type, with the sme can’t adjust symptom, so very likely the same cause.

A Reference Mode adjustment (back to default settings) (if not already there) might help:

Use Reference Mode on your iPad Pro - Apple Support

(I’m being a little wordy here to make this posting easier to find for future folks.)

May 23, 2024 8:17 AM in response to GoodyaN

The battery charge is usually shown in the upper right on an iPad home page, so I’m unsure about the context.

Here is the usual iconography: Learn the meaning of the iPad status icons - Apple Support

In the upper left, I’d guess it’s a Focus: Turn on or schedule a Focus on iPad - Apple Support

If that doesn’t address this, try a forced restart: Force restart iPad - Apple Support

If that doesn’t work, post a screenshot: Take a screenshot on iPad - Apple Support

That screen dimming is not working is concerning, and that might indicate a hardware problem.

A screen icon with an exclamation mark appears on upper right corner of my iPad's screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.