How to set different wallpapers for homescreen and lockscreen? iPad and iPhone.

I want to have a photo on my lock screen but a different non-photo wallpaper for my homsecreen. You always used to be able to have different wallpapers for lockscreen and home screen. But I cannot figure out how to do that now. If I pick a photo for my lock screen and do not hit "pair" but hit "customize" it does not let me choose a different wallpaper for the homescreen. All it allows me to do is pick a different photo, blur the photo, or have a solid or gradient color. This is frustrating and infuriating! Surely Apple didn't downgrade this feature so I must be doing something wrong. Please let me know how to do it!!!! Thanks much!

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on May 23, 2024 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2024 3:02 AM

You don't need to use workaround screenshots to set your Lock and Home Screen Wallpaper. I believe Katana-San was suggesting how this technique might be employed to capture an on-screen image - and use the captured screenshot image as a Wallpaper. Perhaps KS can confirm or elaborate.

Screenshots aside, in absence of information to the contrary, I'll assume that your iPad has been updated to iPadOS 17.5.1. Lets try to understand where you are having difficulty by working thought the process to create a wallpaper pair...

Method 1 (recommended)

This method is the most flexible, offering the full set of tools to manage your Wallpaper screens.

Start at the Lock Screen. At this stage, your iPad should be locked. Unlock the iPad using FaceID, TouchID or Passcode as appropriate - but do not dismiss the Lock Screen. If you reach the Home Screen, you will not be able to access the next step.

Your iPad Lock Screen should now be unlocked; you may briefly see an unlocked-padlock icon at the top of the screen - and/or see a Swipe up to open message at the bottom of Lock Screen - both indicating that the iPad is unlocked. Do not swipe upwards, as this will dismiss the Lock Screen - which we do not want to do.

From the unlocked Lock Screen, simply touch-and-hold the screen with your finger. This will open the Wallpaper selection/editing screen.

From here you can:

a) choose between Lock/Home screen Wallpaper, already created, by swiping to the left or right on the screen; simply tap the chosen Wallpaper to set.

b) add a new Wallpaper pairing by selecting the blue "+" button.

c) modify an existing Wallpaper pairing by selecting the associated Customise button; having tapped Customise, the page will expand to show both the current Lock and Home Screen Wallpaper image; tap the Wallpaper image that you wish to edit or change.

d) delete a Wallpaper pair by swiping the Wallpaper upward - and tap the red Trash icon.

When creating or editing a Wallpaper pairing, you have access to various tools. You can also add Widgets to the Lock Screen.

Method 2

This method is performed from iPad settings - but does not offer the full suite of tools to manage your Wallpaper images:

Settings > Wallpaper

Here you can add or customise wallpaper for Lock and Home screens...

Use the blue "+" button to add a new Wallpaper. Swipe the Wallpaper thumbnail image to the left or right to see your existing Wallpaper pairs; tap the associated Customise button to access the editing tools.

Wrap Up

Having worked through each method, if you continue to have difficulties, please explain where you are getting stuck. Take a screenshot and post it here if necessary - as this may help you to explain the problem that you have.

Take a screenshot on your iPad - Apple Support

Upload a screenshot here using the image button at the bottom of the message window:

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2024 3:02 AM in response to Nick Syrett

You don't need to use workaround screenshots to set your Lock and Home Screen Wallpaper. I believe Katana-San was suggesting how this technique might be employed to capture an on-screen image - and use the captured screenshot image as a Wallpaper. Perhaps KS can confirm or elaborate.

Screenshots aside, in absence of information to the contrary, I'll assume that your iPad has been updated to iPadOS 17.5.1. Lets try to understand where you are having difficulty by working thought the process to create a wallpaper pair...

Method 1 (recommended)

This method is the most flexible, offering the full set of tools to manage your Wallpaper screens.

Start at the Lock Screen. At this stage, your iPad should be locked. Unlock the iPad using FaceID, TouchID or Passcode as appropriate - but do not dismiss the Lock Screen. If you reach the Home Screen, you will not be able to access the next step.

Your iPad Lock Screen should now be unlocked; you may briefly see an unlocked-padlock icon at the top of the screen - and/or see a Swipe up to open message at the bottom of Lock Screen - both indicating that the iPad is unlocked. Do not swipe upwards, as this will dismiss the Lock Screen - which we do not want to do.

From the unlocked Lock Screen, simply touch-and-hold the screen with your finger. This will open the Wallpaper selection/editing screen.

From here you can:

a) choose between Lock/Home screen Wallpaper, already created, by swiping to the left or right on the screen; simply tap the chosen Wallpaper to set.

b) add a new Wallpaper pairing by selecting the blue "+" button.

c) modify an existing Wallpaper pairing by selecting the associated Customise button; having tapped Customise, the page will expand to show both the current Lock and Home Screen Wallpaper image; tap the Wallpaper image that you wish to edit or change.

d) delete a Wallpaper pair by swiping the Wallpaper upward - and tap the red Trash icon.

When creating or editing a Wallpaper pairing, you have access to various tools. You can also add Widgets to the Lock Screen.

Method 2

This method is performed from iPad settings - but does not offer the full suite of tools to manage your Wallpaper images:

Settings > Wallpaper

Here you can add or customise wallpaper for Lock and Home screens...

Use the blue "+" button to add a new Wallpaper. Swipe the Wallpaper thumbnail image to the left or right to see your existing Wallpaper pairs; tap the associated Customise button to access the editing tools.

Wrap Up

Having worked through each method, if you continue to have difficulties, please explain where you are getting stuck. Take a screenshot and post it here if necessary - as this may help you to explain the problem that you have.

Take a screenshot on your iPad - Apple Support

Upload a screenshot here using the image button at the bottom of the message window:

May 25, 2024 9:33 AM in response to Nick Syrett

Having spent considerable time putting this together, evidently I am missing something - as I seem to have no trouble using images for either Wallpaper.

The only other potential issue that comes to mind are "stock" Wallpaper images that are included with iOS/iPadOS. These do regularly change with major system updates, older images being replaced by newer images chosen by Apple.

If you are attempting to use a stock-wallpaper image that has been "retired", you're out of luck - unless you can find the image online.

May 25, 2024 10:20 AM in response to Katana-San

Katana-San wrote:

Hello once more~ That was the conclusion that I started from thus my horrible workaround.😁😁 Lots of great work on your part and I certainly appreciate it!

~Katana-San~

Thanks for your comments. I evidently missed that retirement of a stock wallpaper image from iPadOS was the perhaps a problem - and not the process being an issue.

That said, the revised Wallpaper management features of iPadOS 17.x will continue to catch-out many... both those that are new and not so new to the Apple ecosystem 🙂

May 23, 2024 8:26 AM in response to Nick Syrett

Hello~ Don’t be infuriated or frustrated. Press down on screen and choose Customize…then tap on Homescreen…now do you see the Photo icon at the bottom?? Tap that and I choose All… then picture of my choice. Pinch to Crop and or change by tapping on dots to Swipe between styles and click Done when you or pleased or Cancel. Click on below…

Change your iPhone wallpaper - Apple Support

Post back if necessary and take care.

~Katana-San~

May 24, 2024 5:21 PM in response to Nick Syrett

Apple has not removed the ability to set different Lock and Home Screen wallpaper. While the method of managing Wallpaper has changed in recent versions of iPadOS, this feature is still available.

iPad Wallpaper can be set and changed from the iPad lock screen and from iPad settings:

Change the wallpaper on iPad - Apple Support

Create a custom iPad Lock Screen - Apple Support

May 24, 2024 12:35 PM in response to Nick Syrett

Hello~ Not a simple way to do that but what you can do is find the wallpaper you want online say the unity wallpaper and then add it to your photos …like here. Then you can do this…

Not the conventional way to do things but if you can find the wallpaper and add it to your photos you can have it for your Home Screen. Does that help you? In order to show you this I also edited out date and time on Astronomy Lock Screen. My way is a work around way. The key is finding what you want and adding it to photos. It’s not the easiest way but you can do it. Which wallpaper do you want specifically?

~Katana-San~

May 24, 2024 9:44 AM in response to Nick Syrett

Nick Syrett wrote:

Thank you, but you misunderstood the issue. I don’t want to photo on my home screen. I only want photo on my lock screen. I want a wallpaper on my home screen.

To the best of my knowledge, you can no longer choose different things for the Home Screen and Lock Screen. I have one where they are different but that's because it existed before the change.

How to set different wallpapers for homescreen and lockscreen? iPad and iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.