iPad screen not responding to touch but responds to apple pencil

I purchased iPad 9th generation 2 years ago. It has been working fine until last 4 months. The issue I am facing is that, iPad is not responding to finger touch at all but is responding to Apple Pencil as normal. There are ghost touches occurring particularly after trying to touch with fingers. So I contacted apple, they said it might be a software related problem. So I restored my iPad, but the problem was not solved so they advised me to take it to apple authorised service centre. The service centre said it might be a hardware related problem but did not even bother to check my iPad for related issues still asked for service charges. They (service centres & apple's official support) said I have to replace the iPad because they are not repaired in India. (So why to sell them in India) I purchased it for 30k in India & they are asking me to replace it for 28k. It's been 4 months I have been trying to resolve the issue by contacting the apple support but no proper answers were given. The problem I am experiencing might be a minor problem so why should they ask me to replace the iPad itself. Otherwise The iPad is working fine. I really want to ask apple if they cannot repair iPads in India why to even sell them in India. The answers they gave me really make no sense.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem as mine?If yes & your issue has been resolved please do let me know how.

I am experiencing touch screen problem & the apples authorised service centre did not even bother to check what problem it might be.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 23, 2024 8:22 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2024 2:45 PM in response to AkashZen

AkashZen wrote:

I purchased iPad 9th generation 2 years ago. It has been working fine until last 4 months. The issue I am facing is that, iPad is not responding to finger touch at all but is responding to Apple Pencil as normal. There are ghost touches occurring particularly after trying to touch with fingers. So I contacted apple, they said it might be a software related problem. So I restored my iPad, but the problem was not solved so they advised me to take it to apple authorised service centre. The service centre said it might be a hardware related problem but did not even bother to check my iPad for related issues still asked for service charges. They (service centres & apple's official support) said I have to replace the iPad because they are not repaired in India. (So why to sell them in India) I purchased it for 30k in India & they are asking me to replace it for 28k. It's been 4 months I have been trying to resolve the issue by contacting the apple support but no proper answers were given. The problem I am experiencing might be a minor problem so why should they ask me to replace the iPad itself. Otherwise The iPad is working fine. I really want to ask apple if they cannot repair iPads in India why to even sell them in India. The answers they gave me really make no sense.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem as mine?If yes & your issue has been resolved please do let me know how.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a3e4fbe3-a7e8-4a2a-8a0d-c985571c8632

I am experiencing touch screen problem & the apples authorised service centre did not even bother to check what problem it might be.

If your iPad doesn't respond - Apple Support

May 23, 2024 3:49 PM in response to AkashZen

Unlike iPhone where device repairs are viable, for practical purposes in lieu of repairing and returning your own iPad, Apple usually exchange an iPad for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for repair. Unless you have benefit of an active AppleCare plan, an out-of-warranty repair while expensive will be somewhat less than the cost of a replacement iPad.

As for out-of-warranty repair costs, Apple offers a fixed-price price repair. You can verify eligibility and cost for your region/country here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ plan, a broken iPad will be repaired/replaced for a small excess/deductible fee.

iPad screen not responding to touch but responds to apple pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.