Broken Lightening Port Metal Wings

Has anyone else successfully resolved the below issue with broken lightening port metal wings with Apple?

Specifically, I would like to understand what might have caused the lightning port retention wings to break, especially considering that my phone has only been subjected to normal use.

Below, I have included a link to an image on the Apple Support forum that illustrates the issue:

This illustrates the problem from Apple Community Lightning port retention wings broke, is … - Apple Community

Unfortunately, the store staff were unable to determine the cause of the problem. They suggested it might be due to metal fatigue, which can occur after repeatedly plugging in the device thousands of times. Metal fatigue refers to the weakened condition induced in metal parts by repeated stresses or loadings.

For example, to help you illustrate this.

If I purchased my phone on January 1, 2017. I charge my phone twice a day and use wired headphones with a lightning cable, which means the port is used at least three times a day. Multiplying this by 365 days in a year, the lightning port experiences 1,095 instances of stress annually. Over time, this repeated stress can weaken the metal wings in the port in my theory.

Does this sound correct to assume? Specifically, how many times has the lightning port been tested for durability, and what is the maximum count of such stress tests?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on May 23, 2024 8:30 AM

There are no replies.

Broken Lightening Port Metal Wings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.