Will iPods be useless in the future?

If I buy a 7th gen iPod now, will it continue to work *long term* with iTunes/App Store since the iOS is outdated? For example, I had an old iPad that now is useless because it can't update to the latest iOS. No more getting/updating apps, etc. Will the iPod be the same way in the future, even though they still work *for now*? I don't want my kid having a phone, but she wants to listen to music and maybe play some games.

iPod touch

Posted on May 23, 2024 8:52 AM

6 replies

May 23, 2024 9:06 AM in response to HalfCrunchyMom

No one here can predict the future. However, Apple discontinued the iPod two years ago. So, its days of getting updates are numbered.

The iPod will continue to work after it stops getting updates. There may not be very many apps that are supported and, eventually, I suspect that it will become difficult, if not impossible to add music to it.

For what it's worth, your iPad didn't become "worthless" because it couldn't be updated to the latest version of iPadOS. It was still able to do exactly what it did before Apple released new software. But, as mentioned above, over time, there will be fewer and fewer third-party apps that are supported.

May 23, 2024 9:14 AM in response to HalfCrunchyMom

HalfCrunchyMom wrote:

@Idris
Thank you for the input. When I say it became useless, I mean that most apps no longer work because they require an update, but Apple will not allow them to update because the iOS is no longer supported. I guess that kind of answers my own question, haha. After so many years, the iPods will be useless if they can no longer update the apps.

It's not Apple that isn't allowing the apps to update. It's the app developers who drop support for older versions of iOS. Apple can't force them to keep supporting older systems.

There are lots of apps that will continue to work without being updated. They tend to be things that don't require a subscription. Lots of games require internet access so that the developer can serve ads. Those may also stop working.

May 23, 2024 9:03 AM in response to HalfCrunchyMom

You could get them a cheap iPhone (either used/refurb or SE model) which is currently supported, and just never activate the phone with a wireless carrier. They could still call 911 / emergency services I believe, but no phone or SMS functions other than that. Note that with a WiFi connection, they could still make & take calls on the various voice enabled chat apps, but I believe that is also the case with iPads & even big screen iPods. You would have to disallow those apps from being installed using Screen Time / Ask to Buy.

May 23, 2024 9:11 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

@Idris

Thank you for the input. When I say it became useless, I mean that most apps no longer work because they require an update, but Apple will not allow them to update because the iOS is no longer supported. I guess that kind of answers my own question, haha. After so many years, the iPods will be useless if they can no longer update the apps.

Will iPods be useless in the future?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.